Old 25-06-2003, 04:44 PM
Lonsdale, Les

Default [IBC] Claft branches rooting

In a 'claft' style (Hal Mahoney's specialty), I was wondering if the
individual branches of the Junipers (that are wired up to look like trees)
will eventually form their own roots and actually become their own tree with
time. Does anyone have experience with that?
Les Lonsdale

PS: I found the Minwax Woodhardener at the Home Depot in Tallahassee!!
Thanks for the advice.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 05:44 PM
Marty Haber

5 to 10 years would be a good estimate.
Marty
In a 'claft' style (Hal Mahoney's specialty), I was wondering if the
individual branches of the Junipers (that are wired up to look like trees)
will eventually form their own roots and actually become their own tree

with
time. Does anyone have experience with that?
Les Lonsdale

PS: I found the Minwax Woodhardener at the Home Depot in Tallahassee!!
Thanks for the advice.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

In a 'claft' style (Hal Mahoney's specialty), I was wondering
if the
individual branches of the Junipers (that are wired up to look

like trees)
will eventually form their own roots and actually become their

own tree with
time. Does anyone have experience with that?
Les Lonsdale

PS: I found the Minwax Woodhardener at the Home Depot in

Tallahassee!!
Thanks for the advice.

IF you put rooting hormone on the stubs of any branches you cut
off, you may get roots in your lifetime. Otherwise, juniper
(conifers) aren't know for easy ground layering -- or _I_ don't
know them for that. I suppose they could, eventually.

I've only "known" two clefts; neither of them was mine, but both
died over the course of 3-4 years.

Hal doesn't do e-mail, or I'd suggest you ask him. Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 25-06-2003, 08:56 PM
Jim Lewis

In a 'claft' style (Hal Mahoney's specialty), I was wondering
if the
individual branches of the Junipers (that are wired up to look

like trees)
will eventually form their own roots and actually become their

own tree with
time. Does anyone have experience with that?
Les Lonsdale

Conifers in general aren't known for their ability to ground
layer (which is what you're asking a claft-style display to do).
If you happened to put rooting hormone on the stubs of any
branches you cut off on the underside of the tree(s) you'd get
roots (maybe). Otherwise . . .

I don't think Hal has e-mail.

I seem to recall that Marty H is a neighbor when Hal is up north
.. . .

Old 26-06-2003, 03:45 AM
MartyWeiser

I have seen some of the prostrate (ground hugging) junipers roots their
lower branches in a year or two with no special attention. Since junipers
are commercially grown from cuttings, I would think that scoring the buried
branch a bit and possibly embedding it in a small (1 cm or less) amount of
long fibered sphagnum moss would give roots in a year or two for most
junipers.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++