GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind) (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/35781-re-%5Bibc%5D-me-too-re-complete-newbie-please-kind.html)

Craig Cowing 07-07-2003 08:39 PM

[IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind)

wrote:

Well, I might as well jump on this bandwagon, since the next one will not be
leaving for some time I expect.

I have sort of decided that I want to dip my toes in and see how cold or
warm the water is. What I would like to try are some Oaks (okay, I might be
dead by the time these come to fruition!), Horse Chestnuts, and maybe a
Weeping Willow or two, all of which I should be able to get youngish samples
of from the wild here. How well, or otherwise, do those types of trees take
to being bonsaified (if there is such a word)?

Thanks,
--
Gary

Oaks are slow growers, but if you find a specimen in the wild you'll be ahead of
the game.

Weeping willow, or any kind of willow, can be rooted in chunks up to 5-6". Just
cut a section of branch, put it in water, and let it sit. It will start sprouting
branches and roots in a week or so. Start it now, however, so there will be enough
time for it to develop before winter.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Sean Lowe 08-07-2003 03:44 PM

[IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind)

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message

snip

Weeping willow, or any kind of willow, can be rooted in chunks up to 5-6".

Just
cut a section of branch, put it in water, and let it sit. It will start

sprouting
branches and roots in a week or so. Start it now, however, so there will

be enough
time for it to develop before winter.

snip

Could I pull this off with Yoshino Cherry? I just bought one for the yard
and would like to snag a limb to either give this a shot, or just to put a
couple more in the yard.

TY,
Sean...

Craig Cowing 08-07-2003 05:46 PM

Sean Lowe wrote:

"Craig Cowing" wrote in message

snip

Weeping willow, or any kind of willow, can be rooted in chunks up to 5-6".

Just
cut a section of branch, put it in water, and let it sit. It will start

sprouting
branches and roots in a week or so. Start it now, however, so there will

be enough
time for it to develop before winter.

snip

Could I pull this off with Yoshino Cherry? I just bought one for the yard
and would like to snag a limb to either give this a shot, or just to put a
couple more in the yard.

TY,
Sean...

Not likely. Willows are very fast growing. You would be best off doing an air
layer of the cherry.

Nina Shishkoff 08-07-2003 06:03 PM

[IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind)

Could I pull this off with Yoshino Cherry? I just bought one for the yard
and would like to snag a limb to either give this a shot, or just to put a
couple more in the yard.

TY,
Sean...

I don't know about cherry; air-layering might be better. On the
other hand, I have rooted cuttings of quince with no problem by just
plunking a branch in a glass of water.

willow.... quince..... what other bonsai are easy to root?

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Marty Haber 08-07-2003 08:23 PM

[IBC] Me too! Complete newbie (please be kind)

Did you know....? that willow whips, when crushed and added to a container
of water, act as a root stimulant? The sap is better than B6.
Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Craig Cowing 08-07-2003 11:30 PM

Marty Haber wrote:

Did you know....? that willow whips, when crushed and added to a container

of water, act as a root stimulant? The sap is better than B6.
Marty

That's why I used water that I rooted a bunch of willow cuttings in as a root
stimulant for an air layer I did this morning. I have never tried it, but I have
understood it works well.

Craig Cowing
NY
zone 5b/6a Sunset 37