Old 24-07-2003, 01:42 AM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] PJM Rhododendron roots

yes, Harry, this is the latest development in root growing. it seems to
work, too. The root masses developed are far thicker than pot grown plants.
As you have mentioned, the roots permeate the peat right through to the
center rather than only on the outside of the ball.
Now this presents a problem for the bonsai grower. Most bonsai are grown in
shallow pots or trays. What to do? Gently open the peat ball and spread
the roots out as flat as possible. Wash away as much of the peat as
possible. You may have to plant the shrub in the ground for a season to
acclimate it. Then it will be ready to be root pruned and potted.
Marty
Old 24-07-2003, 02:43 AM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Maybe, in Iowa, it won't be too late in the year to have done so
much root chopping on a Rhododendron. They're quite forgiving,
and can be worked on after the blooming period is over, so let's
hope.

I would wash out ALL of the peat -- if it IS peat. You may find
that most of the "peat" is actually roots. Rhododendron grow
masses of very, very fine roots. If it is peat, wash it
thoroughly. Quite a bit of root may wash away during this
process.

Replant in a shallow, wide pot (bulb pots are nice) -- maybe
twice as wide as deep. Use a coarse, fast-draining soil, with a
considerable amount of rich organic material in it (for acidity).
Coarse, home-made manure compost is nice. Be certain that you
get the soil thoroughly mixed into the root ball, leaving no air
pockets. For the first watering or two, you can submerge the pot
OVER the rim and keep it there till all bubbles stop. Subsequent
watering should be a sprinkle from the top. You probably should
trim a bit off the top, too, but it isn't absolutely necessary
unless most of the roots washed off the plant.

For the remainder of the summer, keep the plant where it gets
morning sun and afternoon shade. Never let it dry out (but don't
let it get soggy). Fertilize every 2 weeks with an acid
fertilizer (Miracle Gro 20-20-20 or Miracid is fine).

Good luck.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

How to remove Rhododendron roots. colshandy United Kingdom 0 08-10-2005 10:48 AM
PJM Rhododendron roots Harry in Iowa Bonsai 0 23-07-2003 11:23 PM
Prune PJM Rhodo Shrek Gardening 2 21-05-2003 01:56 AM
Transplanting PJM Rhodos Treetops Gardening 5 20-05-2003 01:20 PM
PJM - Kerria Fix Trish K. Gardening 0 19-03-2003 06:20 PM