Old 24-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Ben Griffin

Default [IBC] Scale or Tar Spot?

So i was outside yesterday. "which was a beautiful
day to be outside " And i noticed little tiny black
spots on my bourganvillea's leaves. Then i started
looking around. It was on a dwarf orange tree, a few
maples, a nishiki willow and a few other plants. The
tree with the most was a nishiki willow. When you rub
it you can sometimes chip it off like scale, but most
of the time it smudges like tar. and then you have to
rub it off the leaf. I notice no apparant damage from
it. The majority of it is on the tops of leaves,
although i did notice some on the undersides of leaves
also. Unlike scale it is not always circular or oval
but seems to vary between cirles and ovals. Some
leaves had it bad tons of clumps and colonies of it.
But when scraping it off i saw no damage. It is shiny
and black like tar. It also clumps into raised forms
on the edge of leaves. Very strange. Anyone know if
this sounds like tar spot or scale or something else??

Thanks
Ben Griffin

http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-08-2003, 04:42 PM
Jerry Meislik

Ben,
It does not sound like scale. Under each scale, if alive, there will be a
soft bodied moist insect.
Leaves can be affected but mainly stems seem to interest scale more.
Just my thoughts.
Jerry Meislik
Whitefish Montana USA
Zone 4-5
http://www.bonsaihunk.8m.com/

__________________________________

Old 25-08-2003, 01:02 PM
Ben Griffin

I have noticed allot of flies around this season. I
think they come from my neighbors messy messy yard.
But they have been landing on my bonsai allot. Anyone
have a picture of there feces so i can compare. Or
perhaps its there eggs on my leaves.

Ben

Old 25-08-2003, 02:12 PM
Jim Lewis

I have noticed allot of flies around this season. I
think they come from my neighbors messy messy yard.
But they have been landing on my bonsai allot. Anyone
have a picture of there feces so i can compare.

Looks very much like this: .

Or
perhaps its there eggs on my leaves.

Nah.

Old 25-08-2003, 03:22 PM
Nina Shishkoff

And i noticed little tiny black
spots on my bourganvillea's leaves. Then i started
looking around. It was on a dwarf orange tree, a few
maples, a nishiki willow and a few other plants. The
tree with the most was a nishiki willow. When you rub
it you can sometimes chip it off like scale, but most
of the time it smudges like tar. and then you have to
rub it off the leaf. I notice no apparant damage from
it. The majority of it is on the tops of leaves,
although i did notice some on the undersides of leaves
also. Unlike scale it is not always circular or oval
but seems to vary between cirles and ovals. Ben Griffin

Tarspot is a disease of maples, so that's not what you have. Tarspot on
maple is a hard gummy deposit (a fungal fruiting body, to be exact) on the
underside of leaves that won't rub off. I think I've mentioned it onlist
before, because I doubt I would have been able to resist telling you the
ludicrous advice I read in a gardening newsletter once: when asked whether
one could compost leaves from a tree infected with tarspot, the newsletter
said yes, as long as all the leaves were composted face-up.

Anyway, I have no idea what you have on your trees, but anything that
nonspecific is probably insect-related.

Maple Leaf Tar Spot Cerwin Gardening 0 04-11-2011 01:44 AM
The Definitive Chord & Scale Bible - Literally EVERY chord and scale! Dances_With_Ferrets Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 09-02-2005 03:33 AM
[IBC] Scale or Tar Spot? (ADDENDUM: and ugly leaves) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 24-08-2003 03:42 PM
Tar Twine papa United Kingdom 2 22-01-2003 08:46 PM
How to neutralize tar based residue in the lawn??? Cor Stapper Lawns 0 15-11-2002 09:31 PM