Old 15-09-2003, 05:02 PM
Barb

Default [IBC] OOppss..

Ooppsss did not go through to the list for some reason, sorry..
Hi Andy,
Here is what my Bonsai book has to say about your Heavenly Bamboo
" Nandina Somestica ( heavenly bamboo).
Evergreen (broad-leafed). Uprightstems and narrow leaflets present a bamboo
like apperance, but this srub is cosely related to instead (Berberis).
Follage emerges pink to red in the spring, turns pinkish gold, red or maroon
in autum, and remains colorful during winter. Small-growing selections with
reduced leaf and plant sizes are best for Bonsai work. These include
"Compacta, Filamentosa, Harbor Dwarf, Nana, and Pygmace. Because plants
naturally form clumps, heavenly bamboo is well adepted to Multiple Trunk
styles. Stems are unbranched unless upuned; when pruned, two branches
usually grow from betneath the cut. Prun in winter or summer.
Propagation: semihardwood cuttings."
They also, as Iris said come up under the ground to make "baby' plants
and so spread from the parent plant, I have a very large one at the corner
of my house that is abour 40-45 years old, and plan on trying one ot two of
the "babies" next year, or whenever the Dr says I can dig again...lol.. So
if you could find out which one you have you might have something very
nice... here in Southeast Texas they are outside plants and not ever
freezing or snow effects them.
good luck on you "treasure" you partnts gave you..
Barb
Bonsai Lady

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++