Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
dalecochoy

Default [IBC] Shohin in Japan, getting older, who'll carry the trees?

I was just reading an article in Bonsai Europe #55 that reminded me about something that Mr. Nakamura told me a couple years ago when he was looking at my tiny land&water pots. He said " You make these very, very small../soon very , very small will be ver
y big!"

In the article by Marco Invernizzi he asks Japanese Shohin master Nobuichi Urushibata about the shohin interest in Japan/Europe. Here is a quote from Mr. Urushibata's answer:

"Unlike Europe, the average age of Japanese bonsai enthusiasts is growing considerably. For this reason, making bonsai smaller and more easily handled is becoming a downright necessity. As you noted ( Marco) , the number of medium and small bonsai seen in
Japan is increasing, even at very important exhibitions like the Kokufu"

As a note, I remember seeing quite a few shohin at Kokufu and I think now they offer one of the awards in that division.

Interesting. The apparent lack of new/younger enthusiasts in Japan! ( I think we talked about this on IBC before) Sounds like they are having the same problem I'm looking at.....as the kids move out.....who is gonna help move the bigger trees! :)
Watch out you Europeans....in another ten years...who is going to help you? :)

Dale Cochoy, Wild Things Bonsai Studio, Hartville, Ohio
http://www.WildThingsBonsai.Com
Specializing in power wood carving tools.
Yakimono no Kokoro bonsai pottery of hand-built stoneware

++++Sponsored, in part, by Dale Cochoy++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 16-09-2003, 06:22 PM
Henrik Gistvall

dalecochoy wrote:

Watch out you Europeans....in another ten years...who is going to help you? :)

Robots? ;-)

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Who expects Sony to launch the first artificial bonsai soon.

Old 19-09-2003, 03:42 PM
Theo

HI
I loved your article , I repotted my Penthaphilla pine last spring
and not later than one week I was wondering what I will do in 10 years
as I am 60 right now and the actual weight of the pine is 18 kilos..
that's life
Theo
dalecochoy wrote:

[...]

[IBC] Shohin bonsai Apprenticeship in Japan John Romano Bonsai 0 02-09-2005 02:39 PM
[IBC] ****** [IBC] Shohin in Japan, getting older, who'll carry the trees? Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 16-09-2003 09:42 PM
[IBC] Shohin Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 30-08-2003 12:02 AM
[IBC] Keeping Shohin Alive Carl L Rosner Bonsai 7 10-03-2003 08:33 PM
[IBC] Fw: kilns in japan, from a Japan-studied pottery professional. dalecochoy Bonsai 1 10-02-2003 05:26 PM