Old 01-10-2003, 11:12 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Care instructions for Sagerita pleeease

Hi,

New here my first posting and perusing of this group.

I've just bought a very nice mature Sagerita bonsai of many

years growing
and nurturing.
It is about 14" high from soil level with very thick main

trunk/s and good
trained branches which need thickening to complement the

apperance of the
trees trunk appearance which is about 1 to 1.5" in diameter to

a very nice
3" diameter at base.

I bought it as an indoor bonsai as it was described and where I

would like
it to be.

Sitting proudly on my table I would just like some usefull tips

and care
help to keep it looking as it is at present. So far it's just

seen a
watering can every other day!

I'll let the Sagerita experts give specifics, but depending on
where your "table" is, you might not be providing enough light.
Light -- along with proper water -- is one of the more difficult
aspects of keeping trees indoors. Our eyes have an iris which
allows them to compensate for dim light; what looks adequate to
us will NOT be adequate to a tree. Your tree shoud be provided
with artificial lighting -- preferably plant lights, but
fluorescents or halide lights will do -- or should be placed
right next to (or in) a south-facing window where it gets light
all day. Even then a bit of artificial help probably will be
appreciated.

As I understand this is an evergreen and I no doubt some leaves

will die and
drop from time to time...please say yes!

Yes.

But.

Normally, the leaves turn yellow then drop. If they go brown or
black, or limp and then fall, you may have a problem. Usually,
the problem will be overwatering.

Also as I remember is there any hope of a desohjo maple thats

been
neglected since it's leaves all shrivalled up one day and fell

of? It's been
pretty dormant for a year now (my first attempt you see!)

Scratch through the bark up high on the tree. If you find BRIGHT
green, there's hope. If no green, try again, lower on the tree.
If you get to the base and there's no green, no hope.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-10-2003, 01:22 AM
Stevie Boy

I'll let the Sagerita experts give specifics, but depending on
where your "table" is, you might not be providing enough light.
Light -- along with proper water -- is one of the more difficult
aspects of keeping trees indoors. Our eyes have an iris which
allows them to compensate for dim light; what looks adequate to
us will NOT be adequate to a tree.

Oh! Although sitting some way in the room it does recieve light from a
pretty much south facing window but the sun only shines directly through the
window for a few hours a day (best in Autmn/winter due to the lower
elevation of the sun). When the Sun does not shine it can be a rather dull
room. For the poor plants "eyes" this sounds bad.

Do trees just die if sufficient light is not given?

Your tree shoud be provided
with artificial lighting -- preferably plant lights,

What shape of form would these take?

but
fluorescents

Err no chance... sorry tree.

or halide lights will do

You mean anything that gives of good bright light?

-- or should be placed
right next to (or in) a south-facing window where it gets light
all day. Even then a bit of artificial help probably will be
appreciated.

Crumbs talk about being greedy.

As I understand this is an evergreen and I no doubt some leaves

will die and
drop from time to time...please say yes!

Yes.

But.

Normally, the leaves turn yellow then drop. If they go brown or
black, or limp and then fall, you may have a problem. Usually,
the problem will be overwatering.

Yellow is the colour at the mo but there does seem quite a few. Is this need
for worry?

Also as I remember is there any hope of a desohjo maple thats

been
neglected since it's leaves all shrivalled up one day and fell

of? It's been
pretty dormant for a year now (my first attempt you see!)

Scratch through the bark up high on the tree. If you find BRIGHT
green, there's hope. If no green, try again, lower on the tree.
If you get to the base and there's no green, no hope.

I'm afraid it's just found the recycle bin... there waz no hope even the
roots just fell off!

Only prob is it wont be recycled as a tree :-( Black armband comes out.

Steve