Old 22-11-2003, 02:06 AM
Liam

Default English Bonsai

If you have ever been to the English countryside, you will know that the
old farmland walls are made of large, rough stones, with gaps in the wall
(so instead of blowing the wall down, wind passes through it - that's why
these walls last so long).

I thought one day recently that if I grew an English tree, for instance a
Quercus Robur, or other tree which appears very aged after a short period
of time and potted it, then used small slate pebbles to build a miniature
wall, I would achieve a nice effect. The wall would run up, over the soil
and when it got to the tree, it would be partially knocked over - loose
stones, as if the tree had been blown into the wall in a storm, and
knocked part of it down. The tree would be rugged and look quite
windswept - you find this quite a bit when trees grow on the moors. I
don't have any trees that would be old enough for this (and I don't yet
have any oaks), but I think it would make a non-traditional, yet appealing
bonsai. Is this too much of a modern approach, or would this tree be a
convincing bonsai?

Thanks for any feedback.

Liam

WWW.INTERNETCAMERASDIRECT.CO.UK

Want a new camera? You'll find great deals on digital cameras and
camcorders at Internet Cameras Direct.
I have bought from them myself and consider them to be reliable and to
offer very competitive prices.

href="http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/clickclocker/click.cgi?a=mcdo
nagh.me.uk/&b=120x120_c01"img border=0
src="http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co.uk/clickclocker/getlink.cgi?a=mcd
onagh.me.uk/&b=120x120_c01"/a

Old 22-11-2003, 08:22 AM
Pat Patterson

G'day all...

"...old farmland walls..."

So what if it's "not bonsai" in the strictest sense...?

Penjing maybe? I'sn't Penjing part of the history of bonsai? I read that
somewhere...

Sounds like a neat idea.

The important thing is, if it works for you, Liam...go for it!!!

Have a good day...

Pat

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 22-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Sean Hayes

No lesser luminary than Dan Barton has done a nice little English Hedge,
complete with Rabbits and stile. He used cotoneaster and Maples. I've got a
picture of it somehwere.

Whatever floats your boat.
Sean.

Old 22-11-2003, 05:02 PM
Shelly Hurd

Liam,

If you go to our gallery and look for a post from Tony Tickle, you'll find
a wall, and tree, like you describe. Tony's is very convincing.
Go he

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...nsaiclub_ibcga
llery&key=1065280560&first=1065810187&last=1065039 993

Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

Old 22-11-2003, 08:32 PM
Liam

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ag...etbonsaiclub_i
bcga
llery&key=1065280560&first=1065810187&last=1065039 993

That's a really nice tree, and an idyllic country scene. I'm going to ask
him (via email) what type of stone he used, and whether he just picked out
stones the right size, or had to break them down to the right size. I'll
report back here.

Liam

Old 23-11-2003, 08:03 AM
Theo

Hi something similar a has been done in France with *ruins* south of
france style and with sardinian *nuraghi" primitive conic shelter
towers, they add a context to the Bonsai especially if the bonsai is
nice and typical of that region like olive oaks and anyway very sturdy
IN my opinion we are stepping back
as the beuty of the bonsai should stimulate in our mind the context
in which it fits in best
whatever external apport , in my opinon , disturb this stimulation
Theo