Old 02-01-2004, 11:12 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Default [IBC] Dry tips

Happy New Year to all

....and a question ! (you thought you would escape!)

I have just recently seen dry tips at the end of some
branches, what exactly does this mean ?
If the situation is bad, how bad is it ?

I am watering as needed.

Seasons greetings
Dimitris

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 11:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 1/2/2004 5:37:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have just recently seen dry tips at the end of some
branches, what exactly does this mean?

I have forgotten what species you are asking about and where you are. This
can mean nothing or it can mean the plant is dead.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 02:02 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Dry tips on *what*? Where is it, indoors or out?

...and a question ! (you thought you would escape!)

I have just recently seen dry tips at the end of some
branches, what exactly does this mean ?
If the situation is bad, how bad is it ?

I am watering as needed.

Seasons greetings
Dimitris

http://search.yahoo.com/top2003

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 02-01-2004, 02:13 PM
Jim Lewis

Happy New Year to all

...and a question ! (you thought you would escape!)

I have just recently seen dry tips at the end of some
branches, what exactly does this mean ?
If the situation is bad, how bad is it ?

I am watering as needed.

We need a LOT more information:

1. Where are you? Northern or southern hemisphere? Arid
climate or wet? Hot or cold? HOW hot or cold?
2. Where is the tree: Inside or out? Window or TV set?
Sunlight or artificial light?
3. How do you determine "watering as needed?" Soil always wet?
Soil allowed to dry out completely? Somewhere in between?
4. Cultural information: Have you repotted recently (last 3
months?)? Do you fertilize? How? How much? How often?
5. And finally, MOST important, what kind of tree is it?
(Scientific name preferred, but . . . )

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only to the
white man was nature a wilderness -- Luther Standing Bear
(Ogallala Sioux Chief)

Old 03-01-2004, 01:02 AM
Dimitrios Kalderis

Got carried away with the seasons greetings and forgot
to tell you the necessary information

Well, it is a Serissa that was repotted last May.
Since then it has stayed outside, mostly in shade but
occasionally under a strong summer sun.
The dry tips started to appear at the beginning of
October.
I have never used any fertilizer to feed the tree and
I water it every time the soil (1 cm depth) just
starts to become dry.

It has not lost any leaves (apart from the usual 2-3
every day).
I think it is important to tell you that the climate
in Greece is quite dry. It seems to me that spraying
the tree's leaves is equally important as watering it.

Maybe I have found out (the hard way) that Serissas
need a lot of humidity to survive and a constant moist
environment.

D.

Old 03-01-2004, 02:32 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 1/2/2004 7:35:04 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Well, it is a Serissa

Some in this group would argue that that is enough of a reason. But I would
suspect a watering problem. Too much or too little and I would lean toward
too much.
As the seasons change and growth slows down it is easy to water too much.

Old 05-01-2004, 01:42 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Well, it is a Serissa that was repotted last May.
Since then it has stayed outside, mostly in shade but
occasionally under a strong summer sun.

When I see an outdoor plant with "dry tips", I suspect a one-time transpiration emergency, when the soil dried out while the plant was actively photosynthesizing.

Nina Shishkoff

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTERMANAGEMENT OF HOME BUSINESS...5 TIPS FOR BETTER MANAGEMENT OF HOMEBUSINESS... Tonya Thompson United Kingdom 0 28-04-2009 01:30 PM
dry dry dry Rosie United Kingdom 0 02-04-2004 04:21 AM
[IBC] (IBC) Serrissia black leaf tips. FriarTuck Bonsai 0 01-02-2004 05:12 AM
[IBC] Moss in dry climes (was: [IBC] Misting outdoor trees) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 12-04-2003 02:44 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Care Tips for your Bonsai #3 - spring (LONG!) Mark Hill Bonsai 9 11-02-2003 06:25 AM