GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/49734-%5Bibc%5D-trunk-chopping-scotts-pine.html)

Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL 05-01-2004 11:09 PM

[IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

I have a Scotts Pine that I am considering doing a trunk chop. I know you
have to leave some foliage, but how much of the tree is it safe to cut off?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

kevin bailey 05-01-2004 11:36 PM

[IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

With Scots (P sylvestris) it is safest to leave at least some branches
that have VIGOROUS buds. Lowest branches often have much weaker buds
that may just abort. With this species, as with many other pines it is
safest to make haste slowly. Remove some of the top this year and some
more next year until you get down to where you want to be.

Get them growing healthily with good feeding and well developed
mycorrhizae and they will respond and develop much faster.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I have a Scotts Pine that I am considering doing a trunk chop. I know
you
have to leave some foliage, but how much of the tree is it safe to cut
off?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 06-01-2004 02:32 AM

[IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

In a message dated 1/5/2004 5:14:42 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I have a Scotts Pine that I am considering doing a trunk chop. I know you
have to leave some foliage, but how much of the tree is it safe to cut off?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39
Jeff:

If this is a mature Pinus sylvestris, I would attempt to work with what you
have. Pines and trunk chops are like oil and water--rarely do the two mix.
Although this species does bud back on older wood, it is highly unlikely that
you will produce desirable buds at the site of the apex removal.

If you would like, see me a JPEG for a styling suggestion.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
http://members.aol.com/iasnob/index.html

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

MartyWeiser 06-01-2004 07:04 AM

[IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

I have chopped some 1"+ (3 cm) nursery stock back to the low weak branches
that form in the initial whorl. They normally sulk for a year before these
branches start to grow vigorously. However, this often gives a short fat
trunk that I think can be developed in a reasonably nice small tree in about
5-10 years after the chop. Since I can often find 1 gallon nursery stock
with several small branches a few inches above the soil for less than $10 it
is an on going experiment. I think the key to keeping these low weak
branches is that I don't keep any of the higher stronger ones after they
have spent a year or two thickening the trunk.

There have been some excellent articles written by Julian Adams in
International Bonsai on Scots Pine in the US. In addition to supplying well
annealed copper wire, Julian has given me some great advice on cultivating
this, my favorite pine.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 07-01-2004 02:42 AM

[IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

In a message dated 1/6/2004 1:25:55 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
have chopped some 1"+ (3 cm) nursery stock back to the low weak branches
that form in the initial whorl. They normally sulk for a year before these
branches start to grow vigorously. However, this often gives a short fat
trunk that I think can be developed in a reasonably nice small tree in about
5-10 years after the chop.
Marty:

As you imply, the Scots Pine is an extremely vigorous and forgiving specimen,
and "young" specimens will throw buds virtually everywhere when cut.

My response was in reference to chopping "mature" specimens, i.e., trees with
trunks presenting 5+ inch diameters: these tree do not respond well to
chops. If the practitioner is lucky enough to evoke a bud break near the chop
line, it is also less likely that a suitable taper can be developed to support the
bonsai illusion.