Old 05-01-2004, 11:09 PM
Isom, Jeff , EM, PTL

Default [IBC] Trunk chopping a Scotts Pine

I have a Scotts Pine that I am considering doing a trunk chop. I know you
have to leave some foliage, but how much of the tree is it safe to cut off?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 05-01-2004, 11:36 PM
kevin bailey

With Scots (P sylvestris) it is safest to leave at least some branches
that have VIGOROUS buds. Lowest branches often have much weaker buds
that may just abort. With this species, as with many other pines it is
safest to make haste slowly. Remove some of the top this year and some
more next year until you get down to where you want to be.

Get them growing healthily with good feeding and well developed
mycorrhizae and they will respond and develop much faster.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

I have a Scotts Pine that I am considering doing a trunk chop. I know
you
have to leave some foliage, but how much of the tree is it safe to cut
off?

Jeff Isom
Cleveland, OH / Sunset Zone 39

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/
--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-01-2004, 07:04 AM
MartyWeiser

I have chopped some 1"+ (3 cm) nursery stock back to the low weak branches
that form in the initial whorl. They normally sulk for a year before these
branches start to grow vigorously. However, this often gives a short fat
trunk that I think can be developed in a reasonably nice small tree in about
5-10 years after the chop. Since I can often find 1 gallon nursery stock
with several small branches a few inches above the soil for less than $10 it
is an on going experiment. I think the key to keeping these low weak
branches is that I don't keep any of the higher stronger ones after they
have spent a year or two thickening the trunk.

There have been some excellent articles written by Julian Adams in
International Bonsai on Scots Pine in the US. In addition to supplying well
annealed copper wire, Julian has given me some great advice on cultivating
this, my favorite pine.

Marty

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++