Old 06-01-2004, 11:43 PM
DougDT

Default [IBC] Beech Leaves

I don't remember where I read this but, I think there was a study of that
very fact, "why do beeches hold onto their dead leaves"

I think the researchers found that leaves dropped in the fall where broken
down and the nutrients released while the tree was dormant. By dropping the
leaves in the Spring the nutrients are released when the tree is more likely
to be able to use them. I also think there was a supply and demand issue
associated some established beeches that had no need for extra nutrients
where more likely to loose there leaves in the fall then saplings growing in
unfertile ground.

My memory is foggy on where I read that, it might also have just been a
hypophysis, and request for a study, oh foo only 40 and losing it already.

Doug Taylor
Zone 5 MA

-Snip--

The American beech's leaves die in the
fall, but the brown leaves cling to the branches all winter (I've
often wondered what the evolutionary "reason" was for this!),
dropping just before new buds swell and new leaves appear.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++