Old 28-01-2004, 11:33 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] honeylocust seedlings dying

In a message dated 1/27/2004 9:14:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

Of those,
honeylocusts were the only ones that didn't need a cold stratification
period.

They're about 8-12 inches tall. They were a nice green color until just a
few days ago. The leaves are now yellow white with dark green dots. There
also appears to be cobwebs around the leaves.

I am sure Dr. Nina can be specific, but it sounds like mites. I am
not sure what you could safely use on seedlings indoors to kill them, but you
might try a weak solution of soap. There are things such as "Safer" soaps made
for plants, but if you want you can try a tablespoon of dish detergent in a
gallon of water. Might kill the plants.
Plants grown indoors and tightly packed frequently suffer from disease
and insect problems that don't bother them otherwise because of the stress.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 28-01-2004, 01:04 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Spider mites sound like a good possibility. However, in fairness to my
good friends the thrips, when they feed, they scrape the leaf surface,
leaving it a silvery color, then excrete green... er.... spots on the
leaves. So washing the foliage is a good idea, but so is constant
vigilance! Thrips are difficult to control.

Honey locusts might make good bonsai- I'm sure somebody on the list (Hud?)
had one. But they are suceptible to a lot of pests and pathogens.

When you repot, don't be alarmed by the nodules on the roots; locusts,
like any legume, have symbiotic nitrogen-fixing bacteria.

-Nina