Old 12-02-2004, 10:29 PM
Bill Sikes

Default [IBC] Sparkleberry

Hello, Jim et al!

Every day on my way home from work, I pass by this very interesting looking
tree along side the road. It is about eight feet tall, the canopy is
approximately 10 feet across. The base of the trunk at soil level is
approximately 8 inches across. It is a true double trunk, with very gnarled
branches and beautiful, shredding, brown and silvery bark.

I'd love to have this tree in my yard, not to mention have it as an
Imperial-sized Bonsai. Unfortunately, I seem to recall that several years
ago you said Sparkleberry has a single tap root that attempts to reach clear
through the Earth to China (My paraphrasing of your words!). : )

Thus, I have two questions for you: 1) Have you done any more research to
verify a collecting/transplanting technique; and 2) can the branches be
air-layered.

There are any number of branches on this particular specimen that would make
the beginnings of some fantastic bonsai.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-02-2004, 10:32 PM
Jim Lewis

Hello, Jim et al!

Every day on my way home from work, I pass by this very

interesting looking
tree along side the road. It is about eight feet tall, the

canopy is
approximately 10 feet across. The base of the trunk at soil

level is
approximately 8 inches across. It is a true double trunk, with

very gnarled
branches and beautiful, shredding, brown and silvery bark.

I'd love to have this tree in my yard, not to mention have it

as an
Imperial-sized Bonsai. Unfortunately, I seem to recall that

several years
ago you said Sparkleberry has a single tap root that attempts

to reach clear
through the Earth to China (My paraphrasing of your words!).

: )

Thus, I have two questions for you: 1) Have you done any more

research to
verify a collecting/transplanting technique; and 2) can the

branches be
air-layered.

There are any number of branches on this particular specimen

that would make
the beginnings of some fantastic bonsai.

It's not really a taproot. Sparkleberry (a.k.a. Farkleberry),
Vaccinium arboreum is a blueberry and like all other blueberries
is a thicket former. The trees reproduce by long runners, with
sprouts popping up along the runners to form new bushes. These
runners seem to have VERY few small roots; dig one up and you
have an upside down T, with the trunk being the stem, and the
runner being the crosspiece that goes off in both (or more)
directions. Since the entire thicket is really one plant, it
lives on nutrients provided by the roots of all the trees in the
thicket. What you get when you dig one plant up is a VERY small
part of the whole.

Large trees (trunks greater than 3 inches) are almost impossible
to dig (in MY experience). Trees up to 1 inch are quite
diggable, but get as much of the runner roots (in both
directions) as possible. And soil! You want all the fine roots
you can get.

They grow quite slowly, though, and I have never managed to get a
tree in captivity to develop that polished orange bark that the
big ones get.

I suppose they'd layer. Bark is VERY thin.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

[IBC] Sparkleberry Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 11-02-2004 08:34 AM
[IBC] ***** [IBC] Was [IBC] ADMIN: sloooow - added Holiday Care Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 15-08-2003 06:22 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 4 27-02-2003 09:20 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM