Old 17-02-2004, 09:37 PM
Henrik Gistvall

Default [IBC] Advice for a beginner: Ficus?

Hej Ole

Your best choise would probably be Ficus retusa, you can buy it as a
"mallsai". I would recommend that you use some sort of additional light
during the winter.

Du vet väl att det finns ett diskussionsforum på Svenska
bonsaisällskapets hemsida:
http://www.bonsaisallskapet.nu

Där kan du få mer tips om arter för inomhusbruk i norden

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Ole Kvaal wrote:

Hi.
After having killed 1 Carmona, 1 Ligustrum and 1 Sageretia over a period of
2 1/2 yrs, I consider myself something between a beginner and a total idiot.
Anyway, I've found it's time to make another try. Living in middle Norway,
I'd probably go for something that will thrive indoors, at least for most of
the year. The most common recommendation for amateurs is Ficus, as far as I
can see. Looking in one of my mother's books on indoor plants, I found there
are at least 10 Ficuses to choose between, so now I'd very much like to have
a closer hint at which one of these will do best. The way my flat is built,
the poor thing probably won't get much direct daylight during winter, as
window panes usually are to be avoided when temperatures drop below 0
degrees Celsius. So, anyone, please? Or are there any other trees that would
suit these conditions? Any help would be much appreciated.

--

regards,
ole k,

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-02-2004, 01:05 AM
Nina Shishkoff

The most common recommendation for amateurs is Ficus, as far as
can see. Looking in one of my mother's books on indoor plants, I found
there
are at least 10 Ficuses to choose between, so now I'd very much like to
have
a closer hint at which one of these will do best.

You want a species with small leaves that will get a thick trunk. There
are a number of cultivars of Ficus benjamina (rubber tree) that fit this
bill, but the trouble with benjamina is that it buds back poorly. I have
a Ficus diversifolia (mistletoe fig) that has nice leaves, but it won't
get a thick trunk. F. retusa is recommended, but I don't have direct
experience with it. F. salicifolia (willowleaf fig) gets a thick trunk
easily and buds back to some degree. F. religiosa has leaves that are a
little large, but it develops a nice trunk. You should probably shop
around and see what kinds of figs are carried by nurseries around your
area. When you see a species that appeals to you, you can try it.

Other plants that I have had success with indoors: camellias and
gardenias (if your house is cool and humid), orange jasmine (Murraya
paniculata), and natal plum (Carissa grandiflora).

-Nina

Old 19-02-2004, 07:35 AM
Theo

Hi
I do not know if you have bonsai books
but one that should be suitable for you is the one of Lesniewicz Paul
cana small boohklet paperback size with a pameled domed door on
teh cover page actualli could be this one but the cover has changed in
25 years :-)
http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/0713...34#reader-link
That book as is made by a aperson living in a cold countri not as
yours :-) gives advices how to grow most of tehm inside
try to find that book in a local bookstore and have a look inside if
its suggestions are suitable for your needs before buying it
enjoy it
Theo

************************************************ ********************************
++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

--