Old 20-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] insects

There have been ants crawiling around my juniper for the past month. I found
the ant hole, it seem to be a pretty deep tunnel. What kind of insecticide
should i use to get rid of the ants? I dont want them to be digging tunnels
throughout the rootball. Also, does anyone have an idea as to why i have
ants? they are always crawling up and down the trunk, but i cant find the
reason. There must be someother kind of insect infesting the tree. Any
advice would be great. Thanks a lot.
-Colin Horn

Find and compare great deals on Broadband access at the MSN High-Speed

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 20-02-2004, 01:33 PM
Carl L Rosner

Colin:
There are quite a few theories on how to eliminate ants and can be found
in the archives (see the URL below). One of the last ones mentioned is
to place the pot in a container of water and let it soak for about a
half hour. The ants should come to the surface and unless they have
Scuba equipment :-D will drown or make it to the edge of the
container. A spray of pure rubbing alcohol on the swimming ants should
dispatch them.

As a side note Ants have a symbiotic relations with aphids (and may be
hearding them to collect their dew). You may want to spray your tree
with an alcohold soap solution listed below.

Good luck,

Carl L. Rosner - near Atlantic City zone 6/7
http://bmee.net/rosner
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48
http://www.jamesbaird.com/cgi-bin/Ja...d=00000068 48

SOAP solution!

I pour a solution of 1 to 2 tablespoon dishwashing detergent, 1
tablespoon of vegetable oil into a plastic gallon and slowly add

water to fill the gallon jug. I fill this solution from the gallon
bottle into a spray bottle and just before using I add 1 to 2 two caps

full (from the rubbing alcohol bottle) of rubbing alcohol and spray
immediately. If you do not use the full bottle of spray, I

suggest the next time you are going to use the soap/alcohol solution add
the same amount of rubbing alcohol again, since the

alcohol will evaporate. I store this soap/oil solution in the gallon jug
for months on end. It does not seem to go bad.

Spray on plants covering all leaf and stem surfaces. You may have to
spray from three to four times with intervals of three

days. I have eliminated almost any kind of pest that have attacked my
trees, including scale.

I do not wash off the spray and have seen no adverse reaction to the
trees from this mixture.

Old 27-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Jim Lewis

As a side note Ants have a symbiotic relations with aphids (and

may be
hearding them to collect their dew). You may want to spray your

tree
with an alcohold soap solution listed below.

Several of the smaller sucking insects produce "honeydew" which
ants harvest. Some ants go so far as to protect the critters
that produce the honeydew. So, like Carl says, look for aphids
at the base of needles, near tips of branches. But also check
for whiteflies, mealybugs, and scale. The soap solution will
help with all of those, except adult scale. Those you will need
to remove manually and squish. A "Q-Tip" and alcohol will do the
job.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Marc Zimmerman++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++