Old 22-02-2004, 04:34 PM
Ra

Default multi trunk trees

Hi,

I love all the trees in the Ficus family.
I love Religiosa and the other Banyans..
but the simple Benjamina seems to grow the easiest
and put out plenty of air roots, with a little encouragement.
(it's small leaves also make it desirable, when thinking of Bonsai)

I've got some about 2 years old that I've started to try and train (a little late).
They've both got a nice cluster of about 10 roots, or so.
They managed to develop those, without much help from me.
They are on a high deck where they often dry out in the Ocean breezes.
I find that these roots all survive once they reach the dirt.. but can easily
die, if the plant dries out too much before they 'take root'.

My plan is to build an area that is shaded and partially sheltered from the wind..
and set up a lot of misters in there, on a timer to spray about 6 times a day.

I think with this help, the Ficus will develop the additional roots
far faster and in much greater profusion.
Once the desired amount of roots hit the ground,
I can move the plants back into the sun.

The area will also be great for Orchids, Ferns, Epiphites, Topiary etc.

I'm in the Florida Keys.

--
best regards,
Ra

multi trunk trees Ra Bonsai 0 22-02-2004 04:11 PM
multi trunk trees Ra Bonsai 0 22-02-2004 04:01 PM
Chooks in small, multi-species orchard Marshall Wilkinson Australia 6 05-04-2003 06:36 AM
Schultz "Multi Cote" Slow Release Rose & Flower Chow Shiva Roses 6 18-02-2003 07:03 PM
multi-colored Buddleia animaux Texas 0 12-02-2003 01:56 AM