Old 07-03-2004, 01:32 AM
Adam Tanner

Default [IBC] white mineral on outside of pots?

I have several glazed chinese pots that have a white crystal like mineral on
the out side.
The mineral will wipe off but in a few days it returns. Does anybody know
what it is and how can I correct it?

Thank you,
Adam
Zone 8b

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2004, 01:34 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

In a message dated 3/6/2004 7:41:35 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:

I have several glazed Chinese pots that have a white crystal like mineral
on
the out side.
The mineral will wipe off but in a few days it returns. Does anybody know
what it is and how can I correct it?

This is more common with unglazed pots but this water borne minerals
leeching out of your pot. You can try to use distilled water. This tends to happen
with less expensive pots because they are usually not fired to as high a
temperature. It also is a function of you water and maybe the clay the pot is
made from.

I bought what I though was a nice little Chinese unglazed pot last
year that really leeches minerals. Another pot bought at the same time from the
same seller has not leeched. Maybe the leeching pot was further from the heat
source in the kiln.

Maybe one of our potters can contribute more.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention May 28 - 31, 2004 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Sponsored by The Bonsai Society of Brevard and the Treasure Coast Bonsai
Society
http://www.bonsaisocietyofbrevard.org/2004/2004.html

Old 07-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Jim Lewis

I have several glazed chinese pots that have a white crystal
like mineral on
the out side.
The mineral will wipe off but in a few days it returns. Does

anybody know
what it is and how can I correct it?

It's calcium carbonate (or a related salt) from water drying on
the pot and chemicals leaching out of the soil.

Look in our archives for a list of remedies -- most of which
involve scouring pads, Lime Away or "Dutch" cleanser, and a lot
of elbow grease, or time (burying pots in the compost heap for a
year).

Get to the archives through the URL below.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Ken Rutledge++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 07-03-2004, 01:45 AM
Adam Tanner

I was thinking the same thing but wanted other opinions.
Do you think that maybe a ceramic sealer would fix the proble. Applied only
to the glazed portion of the pot?

Old 07-03-2004, 04:23 PM
dalecochoy

Old 13-07-2004, 12:09 PM
Registered User

Location: West-Midlands UK

the pot is porous and will act as a filter for any soluble elements present in the soil.

Calcium carbonate will be there in trace, as will nitrates of potassium and some phosphates of same.
it`s totaly harmless (although unsightly if you`re fussy), you could scrape them off and re add them to your water again, or collect them and use them as a plant feed "Waste not, Want not"

it`s just leeched out nutrients, that crystalise as the pot has a large surface area to allow evaporation of the water used to carry these chems.
Say it with Flower, Give her a Triffid