GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Zelcova backbudding (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/57023-%5Bibc%5D-zelcova-backbudding.html)

Ulli Bauer 27-03-2004 12:02 PM

[IBC] Zelcova backbudding

Dear all,

I've seen some Zelcova bonsai at our local mall. Don't worry, they aren't
mallsai. Some of them do have quite nice trunk movement, but the branch
placement ist totally off the rocker. I guess Zelcova bud back well. Am I right?

Is it possible to just cut all the branches off, or does this mean the end
of the tree?

Thanks a bundle for your help!

Ulrike Bauer
South Germany, zone 7b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

marty haber 27-03-2004 08:13 PM

[IBC] Zelcova backbudding

Sure, you could cut all the branches and your Zelkova would bud out; but
here's an idea that you might use. If you can find some slender and
flexible branches, drill holes through the trunk in appropriate places, and
thread those branches through. Then close up the holes with cut paste.
Leave the remaining branches for a few years as they will help the trunk to
thicken. Then remove the unwanted branches and the unwanted part of the
threaded branches.
Marty