Old 27-03-2004, 12:02 PM
Ulli Bauer

Default [IBC] Zelcova backbudding

Dear all,

I've seen some Zelcova bonsai at our local mall. Don't worry, they aren't
mallsai. Some of them do have quite nice trunk movement, but the branch
placement ist totally off the rocker. I guess Zelcova bud back well. Am I right?

Is it possible to just cut all the branches off, or does this mean the end
of the tree?

Thanks a bundle for your help!

Ulrike Bauer
South Germany, zone 7b

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 27-03-2004, 08:13 PM
marty haber

Sure, you could cut all the branches and your Zelkova would bud out; but
here's an idea that you might use. If you can find some slender and
flexible branches, drill holes through the trunk in appropriate places, and
thread those branches through. Then close up the holes with cut paste.
Leave the remaining branches for a few years as they will help the trunk to
thicken. Then remove the unwanted branches and the unwanted part of the
threaded branches.
Marty
[IBC] Zelkova backbudding Ulli Bonsai 0 28-03-2004 09:12 AM
[IBC] pinus strobus backbudding!! Craig Cowing Bonsai 8 29-05-2003 05:22 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM