Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Craig Cowing

Default [IBC] Boxwood Question

Michael Persiano wrote:

In a message dated 4/2/2004 4:40:36 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I have a small boxwood, less than 1 foot tall, that seems like it
could be used as a starter plant for my first attempt at a bonsai. Is
this a good choice? Has a good trunk with character. Advice welcome.
Friend:

snip

Superfeeding (frequent feeding) is recommended to ensure that each growing
season delivers maximal foliar accumulations. If you are working with Buxus
microphylla var. japonica, expect no more than 1 inch of new growth per year. If
you are working iwth Buxus microphylla 'Kingsville Dwarf'--the slow growing
form selected by Henry Holman--expect 1/2 inch per year.

While Buxus is a rewarding specimen, I believe it challenges the talent of
both the beginner and expert as a specimen whose calculated development can
yield remarkable results.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

I have a few years' experience with Kingsville boxwoods, and find them a wondeful
variety to work with. In my climate (Orange County, NY, Zone 5b/6a) they won't quite
make it outdoors all winter, so I bring them in around Thanksgiving. They stay under
fluorescent lights during the winter in a cooler part of the house, and have done
fine.

I don't have much experience with other varieties of boxwood, but I suspect that this
is the only variety that can come indoors for the winter.

During the growing season outdoors my boxwoods stay in partial sun, resulting in nice,
tight foliage. Despite the slow growth I have found they are remarkably quick in
growing foliage. In the span of three years I have developed an example that has
nicely formed foliage pads and doesn't have the "pom-pom" look that is difficult to
avoid. With developing the foliage pads it is important to pinch new growth.

With fertilizing I fertilize fairly heavily during the outdoor season, and not as much
when they're indoors. I'm finding that indoors with a lot of fertilizer the leaves
may tend to be larger.

I have another two which I'm developing, one is repotted into a bonsai pot now, and in
a few days I'll do the other. The foliage pads need some refinement but they're
coming along. These two trees I've had only since late summer last year, and during
the winter have progressed well since their initial styling.

I have found that a good way to achieve ramification is to prune just like a maple,
since boxwoods grow with opposite buds. I cut off the central shoot and leave the
side shoots.

keep
\ /cut
\/___ keep