Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Lisa Miller

Default [IBC] recordkeeping

I'm curious about something...what do you use to do your bonsai record
keeping? I'm still a relative newbie and I use the paper journal and pen
method. As I've been attending some classes (Nina - thanks for sending me to
Jim Doyle at Nature's Way Nursery - I've been making the 2 hour drive
frequently and I'm having a great time in his classes), my collection is
starting to grow. I'm branching out (ok - bad pun - sorry). I've seen some
bonsai software offered on the net. Does anyone have any experience with the
specialized software (or any other software that could be used)? I've been
taking photos of my trees as I work with them and I would like a way to keep
everything organized in one place. But even more important to me than
that...how do you track your repottings and other details regarding your
tree care?

Thanks!

Lisa
(as an aside here - I really can't thank everyone here enough for all of
your input to this list. I don't post often, but I read everything and as a
newbie I've gained soooooo much information. I often print out posts and
put them in a notebook that I use as an additional reference. I just hope
you all know how much this helps. Your commitment to and knowledge of bonsai
is inspiring.)

Premium!
http://join.msn.com/?page=features/m...ave/direct/01/

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Bonsai software is fine, but (usually) limiting. Your records
consist of fields that someone else developed and not
(necessarily) what YOU want.

Others use their own database (excel, approach, etc.), but I find
that limited by field size (even when you give a field a
"sky's-the-limit" size, it can be hard to read "on screen") and
the repot format is iffy.

Some use spreadsheets, but I know so little about them I won't
comment.

I use a word processor.

I have a folder called "Trees" that holds all of my tree records.
The FIRST file in that folder is named "-tree template.lwp" (if,
like most of the world you've chosen to use MS Word, yours would
be "-tree template.doc". I use Lotus Word Pro since there are no
(or very few) virus issues with it.) The hyphen before "tree"
ensures that it is the first file you see.

I use the template for new trees, then "save as" to rename it
(for instance: "Taxodium descriptive phrase.lwp") so the trees
are listed in alphabetical order by genus.

You can put whatever you want into the template in whatever order
(and wherever) you want to put it. And you can change it at will
(usually a bit more difficult in DBs and Spreadsheets).

My template has headings like (each number that follows begins a
new line on my template):

1. Scientific name . . . . . . Common name . . . . . . . . Date
(I created the file).
2. Height: ____, Base: _____
3. In Training since: ______ (This usually is the date I dug it,
got it, or put it into its first training pot and is a soft
number, since my memory for dates is terrible!)
4. Source: ________
5. Work done: ______________ This expands as the years go on
_____________
6. Pot: _____________
7. Discussion: ______ Plans for the tree, problems, notes to
myself about repotting dates, etc. This expands and contracts as
times goes on ______
8. Photos: I keep a progression of photos of the tree (some
files get fairly large!) each photo is numbered and dated. (I
reduce the size of older pics as the years go on.)

There are a gazillion other ways to go.

HTH

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Jim Lewis

[...]

Tech Tools: Recordkeeping for small farmers Bill who putters Edible Gardening 0 07-02-2011 08:53 PM
[IBC] recordkeeping 1 Khaimraj Seepersad Bonsai 0 06-04-2004 09:19 PM
[IBC] recordkeeping Lisa Miller Bonsai 0 06-04-2004 09:19 PM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Mastering Technique (Was [IBC] proposal) Mark Hill Bonsai 1 27-02-2003 11:25 PM
[IBC] To: IBC Enforcer (was: [IBC] Juniper Bonsai life expectancy?) Jim Lewis Bonsai 1 12-02-2003 11:25 PM