Old 14-04-2004, 05:33 PM
Shelly Hurd

Default [IBC] new to Bonsaing... westeria, ceders/pine/spruces

Hi Chris,

You asked:

I am tring at growing a few bonsai, the ones I like the best.
I need advise on what to do with a westeria after it starts growing?
Well, let it grow mostly unchecked. You can cut back the shoots to a leaf pair or two occassionaly. Then wait. Don't get your hope up abut it flowering though. Probably wont. After 9 years I did get ONE flower set on -one- wisteria grown from seed,
last year. Didn't repeat this year. Shrug

and what do you to the cedar type trees. keep the top cut out?

Generally let them grow, but you can cut the tops out and train new leaders while the branches are still flexible. That will help keep the size down to what you may be looking for in the future.
Regards,
Shelly Hurd Central CA - Sunset Zone 8-USDA Zone 9

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 17-04-2004, 07:46 PM
Kitsune Miko

Hi Chris,

You asked:

I am tring at growing a few bonsai, the ones I like
the best.
I need advise on what to do with a westeria after it
starts growing?

You pinch them like most decidious plants. Pinch back
while soft green, leaving 2-3 buds/internodes.
Repeate indefinitely.

do you to the cedar type trees. keep the
top cut out?

Cedar, Spruce, you trim the terminal bud by taking out
the center when soft. This forces buds back on the
stems. If you look real close and see active buds
further down from wher eyou want to shorten, you can
prune back to an active bud.

See attempts at "illustrations".

____a//// //_
a\\\\ \\
^b
Pinch cedar/Spruce new growth like above (at "b")
You should have budding back from "a", but not from
"b".

SO...if you have a long branch to shorten, look for
back buds at points like "a". Cut back to before that
point.

Kitsune Miko

=====
"Perhaps all the dragons in our lives are princes(ses) who are only waiting
to see us act just once, with beauty and courage. Perhaps everything that
frightens us is, in its deepest essence, something helpless that needs our
love." -- Rainer Maria Rilke

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++