Old 18-04-2004, 03:07 AM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Observations in Respect to Beginners

BTW, what's "IBC"? I can venture a guess, but all I know is I'm
posting
on rec.arts.bonsai

IBC is the Internet Bonsai Club of which rec.arts.bonsai is but a
small part.

The IBC is about 15-20 years old now, I guess (Chris is our
historian but he's off in Japan apprenticing to some big name in
bonsai or suiseki so is a bit incommunicado now). Rec.arts
bonsai and the Internet Mailing List are linked. If you post to
r.a.b. your messages are also sent to about 500 souls worldwide
who subscribe to the list through .

We also have a web site (doesn't almost everyone but me?) --
www.internetbonsaiclub.org -- that is developing into a complete
bonsai site. It contains on-line classes, an extensive (and
growing!) Knowledge base [THANKS Henrick for the new tools
article!] of articles on all facets of bonsai (probably EXCEPT
growing from seed ;-), a comprehensive book review section, and
much, much more -- including our very popular IBC gallery (which
I thought I'd seen you on????) in which we share pictures of our
bonsai and bonsai-to-be -- called "potensai."

On Mondays and Thursday evenings (8 .p.m. on Starchat) there is a
Bonsai chat group. Details are on our website.

We have regular get-togethers at other bonsai conventions and
meetings here, there and everywhere (usually at the bar).

The IBC is supported by donations from its members, sent to our
treasurer, Reiner Goebel (Reiner: is it time for a commercial
again?). Shelly Hurd from California is the new
"owner/moderator" of the mailing list and to some extent r.a.b.,
having taken that chore over from me a few months ago when I got
tired of doing it for 8-9 years. Nic Steenhout down in New
Zealand is webmaster for our rapidly-growing website.

So. Welcome to the IBC. Read, learn and participate.

Now. That said, I suggest that you grow bonsai from seed by all
means, but ALSO make some from nursery or collected or
cutting-grown or air-layer-grown plants. Otherwise you are going
to be VERY bored for a very long time. Seed to decent bonsai
takes AT LEAST 10 years -- even for the fastest growing plants.
And for 8 of those 10 years, you will be doing nothing more than
watching plants grow. YAWN.

Even I, whose trees perhaps *average* 8 - 10 inches in size,
don't grow many from seed. Little trees with skinny little
seedling trunks are, perhaps, among the least attractive plants
that pass for bonsai. The principal idea in bonsai is to produce
an illusion of great age in your trees. You don't get that from
seedlings.

So practice bonsai techniques on other plants, too. ;-) Be ready
for your seeds when they grow up.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-04-2004, 09:02 AM
kevin bailey

Hi Adam,

I have to agree with Jim, even though I have a passion for growing trees
from seed. When I began, I planted every variety of seed that I could
find or purchase, that may have bonsai potential. Twenty years later I
have a couple of thousand trees in plastic pots and in the ground. These
are in much greater variety than I could ever hope to find in nurseries.
They have good radial root spread and convincing taper. Some are still
to thin to consider styling. Only four have made it onto my display
bench, so far.

It does take a long time to achieve your goals and in that time you can
be learning on other material. Give Jim's suggestion of air layers
serious consideration (it's nearly time to start layering over here in
the UK).

If you are into things horticultural, then you probably have some plants
that you could "rescue" from your garden. Once you have an idea of the
plants that can be used, lift something and reduce it's root ball to fit
into a large box. Pot it into a mix that is much coarser than soil -
chipped bark, granite chips, coarse moss peat etc. Check out the
articles in your book to see what is best for each particular species.
If deciduous and the leaves are already out, it's too late for this
year. Junipers and Pines can still be lifted now but soon it will be too
late for this year.

I've put a few articles, including the details of layering, growing from
seed etc on my website here
http://www.actionvideo.freeserve.co.uk/articles.htm

B.T.W. This spring I planted six seed trays of seed. Japanese Larch,
Prunus mume, and many Maples. I also collected several plants from the
garden and wild, and plan to air-layer more this year than I've ever
done before...... Take care, it's not just a pastime, it's an addiction!

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++