Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 19-04-2004, 04:03 AM
David I.

Default [IBC] American Beech (collecting wild for bonsai)

Greetings - Up here in New England we have a lot of beech trees that are
quite common in our neighborhood and back yard.......so I decided to
attempt a transplant of some of the 3 foot tall suckers (1.5" diameter
trunk) that were clustered and growing up out of the ground from the roots
of a large 45 foot tall mature beech.

In preparation to collect this cluster of small beech trees (back in early
March), I dug until I severed the root that was connected to the mother
beech tree. I then lifted the root ball and scattered some Rooting Hormone
Powder.....and I left it right where it was in the ground for about 40
days.

Now that it is just past mid April, it's a lot warmer, the snow is gone
and the buds have fattened up on all the trees, I have removed the small
beech from the woods and planted into a one gallon pot on April 10th, and
watered with some SuperThrive Vitamin Hormone.

Now that I described my method of collecting North American
Beech.............My questions a

1) I heard beech is very tempermental to collecting - Has anyone collected
American Beech?

2) How do beech respond to pruning?

3) Anyone else have another method for collecting beech?

Thanks in advance! I'm hoping to eventually develop these beech trees
into bonsai.

david
- Massachusetts

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++