GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Dodder anyone? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/60060-re-%5Bibc%5D-dodder-anyone.html)

Jim Lewis 27-04-2004 03:03 PM

[IBC] Dodder anyone?

How concerned should I be?

For your local woodlands (especially along the edges) quite.

For your bonsai, probably not, but keep an eye out. I think it
spreads at least partially via wind.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Nina Shishkoff 27-04-2004 03:04 PM

[IBC] Dodder anyone?

How concerned should I be?

Someone once asked me about dwarf mistletoe on spruce, and my first inclination was to say "you've got better things to worry about", then I read up on parasitic plants and discovered that they are a real nuisance. The reason is that many herbicides inter
fere with photosynthesis in the target, and parasitic plants don't photosynthesize; also, herbicides that will kill the parasite will, being herbicides, also harm the host. Dwarf mistletoe sends tissue deep into the branches of spruce and basically can ne
ver be eradicated, ever. The best you can do is remove the external parts whenever you see them.

Dodder, happily, can just be yanked off, although there is some evidence that the site of attachment to the plant may resprout. If you are in a heavily infested area, it might be a recurrent problem, since the seeds are spread on the feet of birds.

So you should be concerned, but vigilance will save the day.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 27-04-2004 05:08 PM

[IBC] Dodder anyone?

If you are in a heavily infested area, it might be a recurrent
problem, since the seeds are spread on the feet of birds.

Well I KNEW they were airborne in SOME fashion. ;-)

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Blessed
statistics: A Demonstration -- Welcome to Hooterville!
Population: 2000. Elevation: 3000. Established: 1850. TOTAL =
6850