Old 27-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Nina Shishkoff

Default [IBC] Dodder anyone?

How concerned should I be?

Someone once asked me about dwarf mistletoe on spruce, and my first inclination was to say "you've got better things to worry about", then I read up on parasitic plants and discovered that they are a real nuisance. The reason is that many herbicides inter
fere with photosynthesis in the target, and parasitic plants don't photosynthesize; also, herbicides that will kill the parasite will, being herbicides, also harm the host. Dwarf mistletoe sends tissue deep into the branches of spruce and basically can ne
ver be eradicated, ever. The best you can do is remove the external parts whenever you see them.

Dodder, happily, can just be yanked off, although there is some evidence that the site of attachment to the plant may resprout. If you are in a heavily infested area, it might be a recurrent problem, since the seeds are spread on the feet of birds.

So you should be concerned, but vigilance will save the day.

Nina

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Dodder - 2 pictures Ann Garden Photos 10 11-08-2007 09:17 PM
Devious Dodder Vine Sniffs Out Its Victims JoeSpareBedroom Gardening 1 30-09-2006 02:30 AM
Dodder Charlie Texas 0 22-09-2005 01:34 AM
[IBC] FW: [IBC] Bonsai security, anyone do it? kevin bailey Bonsai 5 15-07-2004 08:02 AM
Dodder anyone? Pat Patterson Bonsai 0 27-04-2004 09:02 AM