GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ?? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/61141-%5Bibc%5D-have-i-killed-new-cotoneaster.html)

Mark Hill 12-05-2004 04:06 PM

[IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??

Hi all

Two weeks ago I purchase a cute little shohin sized Cotoneaster from a local
nursery.
It looked rather happy, with tiny green leaves in typical potting soil.

I stared at it for a few days until I decided to trim/repot it.
I trimmed about 25% of the leaves and roots and stuck it into good bonsai
soil into which I mixed about 25% of it's original potting soil.

Two days after repotting the leaves started to dry out and turn crunchy.
A week later I'm staring at a bare little tree.
I've kept it moist the entire time with a slight amount of indirect sunshine
every day.

Have I killed it ... or is this a characteristic of this tree ?

I've read that cotoneasters are "idiot proof".
Guess I'm a better idiot than I thought !!

Mark Hill - Zone 7 - Harrisburg PA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 12-05-2004 05:08 PM

[IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??

Have I killed it ... or is this a characteristic of this tree ?

Is there BRIGHT, fresh-looking green under the bark? If so,
temper off on watering and hope.

If not . . .

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who found NO
green on his little trees on Sunday.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Mark Hill 12-05-2004 05:08 PM

[IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??

Yup ..... Still looking green Jim. But it's only been two weeks and maybe
it's too early to tell.
Guess I'll just cross my fingers and hope for the best.

Mark