Old 12-05-2004, 04:06 PM
Mark Hill

Default [IBC] Have I killed a new Cotoneaster ??

Hi all

Two weeks ago I purchase a cute little shohin sized Cotoneaster from a local
nursery.
It looked rather happy, with tiny green leaves in typical potting soil.

I stared at it for a few days until I decided to trim/repot it.
I trimmed about 25% of the leaves and roots and stuck it into good bonsai
soil into which I mixed about 25% of it's original potting soil.

Two days after repotting the leaves started to dry out and turn crunchy.
A week later I'm staring at a bare little tree.
I've kept it moist the entire time with a slight amount of indirect sunshine
every day.

Have I killed it ... or is this a characteristic of this tree ?

I've read that cotoneasters are "idiot proof".
Guess I'm a better idiot than I thought !!

Mark Hill - Zone 7 - Harrisburg PA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 12-05-2004, 05:08 PM
Jim Lewis

Have I killed it ... or is this a characteristic of this tree ?

Is there BRIGHT, fresh-looking green under the bark? If so,
temper off on watering and hope.

If not . . .

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Who found NO
green on his little trees on Sunday.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++