Old 10-06-2004, 09:04 AM
Pat Patterson

Default Needles...new growth is VERY light green...

G'day all...

Late last fall I acquired a collected Chihuahua Pine, Pinus leiophylla v.
chihuahua. It had been in a 15-16" X 43" deep, oval Mica pot for about 3 years.
I repotted it this spring, in a 14-1/2" X 4-1/4" bunjin pot.

It has candles opening, bright, fresh looking, dark green. It also has new
growth from branches and branch tips that is a very light green.

This being my first spring with this tree...it looks a little strange to me.

Does anybody know if this is normal? Or is it a problem?

Sure hate to have anything happen to it...it is estimated at 150 years
old...about 3-1/2" to 4" trunk just above the nebari...about 3-1/2'
tall...natural bunjin.

It is ready to move from partial shade to full sun, but we've had 5 straight
days of temps over 100F...yes, friends, even at 4550'.

I look forward to your comments.

Have a nice day.

Pat...anticipating the monsoon...

Dez of the Arizona High Dezert, at 4550', Oracle, AZ,
2000' above Tucson Sunset Zone 10 USDA Zone 8
aka: Pat Patterson 'riding off in all directions'

Old 11-06-2004, 09:05 PM
matsu

Pat: I think Michael P has responded about the potential of a mineral
deficiency. Also, sometimes pine will exhibit a yellowing of new
needles when the rootball is kept too wet. I've seen needles on black
pine that are yellow/green at the base and then gradually turn to a
darker green as you move out toward the end of the needle. You may
want to watch your watering. Also, if there is some of the old field
soil around the interior of the rootball, it could be retaining more
water than the fresh bonsai soil. Good luck. Paul

--
matsu

Regards, Paul
matsu's Profile: http://forum.bonsaitalk.com/member.p...nfo&userid=388