Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Franco Cappitta

Default [IBC] New to bonsai club

Hi everyone. I just signed up to this mailing list. I was hoping I
could get some help. I would like to start growing a Japanese Maple
(Acer Palmatum). I live in Brooklyn, New York (I know regions/climate
are important) and would probably be growing it for the most part
indoors. I don't really have anywhere to do it outdoors. If anyone
could give me some info I would appreciate it. I've read a lot online,
but I'm sure it doesn't compare to someone's help who has experience
in (hopefully) my area.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Craig Cowing

Franco Cappitta wrote:

Hi everyone. I just signed up to this mailing list. I was hoping I
could get some help. I would like to start growing a Japanese Maple
(Acer Palmatum). I live in Brooklyn, New York (I know regions/climate
are important) and would probably be growing it for the most part
indoors. I don't really have anywhere to do it outdoors. If anyone
could give me some info I would appreciate it. I've read a lot online,
but I'm sure it doesn't compare to someone's help who has experience
in (hopefully) my area.

Franco:
A Japanese Maple won't survive, let alone thrive, being mostly indoors. It needs
fresh air, dappled sunlight, and above all, a period of dormancy in the winter. It
would do fine in your area if you had it outdoors. If you're restricted to having
trees indoors, you are much better off with a ficus. I haven't seen it yet, but I
understand that Jerry Meslik' book on ficus is geared towards people in northern
climates such as ours, and from what people say it's outstanding.

I'm in Orange County, about 1.5 hours north of you.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Iris Cohen

I would like to start growing a Japanese Maple (Acer Palmatum).
and would probably be growing it for the most part indoors. I don't really
have anywhere to do it outdoors.

I'm sorry, but you will have to forget the Japanese maple. There are a few
so-called outdoor trees which you can finagle indoors with certain precautions
(like wintering in the refrigerator). But maple is not one of them. You will
kill it sooner or later. If you are restricted to growing bonsai indoors, there
are many tropicals you can use. Start with a Ficus, like the dwarf F. benjamina
cultivars at Home Depot.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)
Old 06-07-2004, 02:02 AM
Dad

I'm glad you asked before you leap.
I'll make my comment short. DON'T.
Japanese maples will not survive indoors.
Try ficus, schefflera, or aralia - to name a few plants which will be OK
indoors.
Marty
Hi everyone. I just signed up to this mailing list. I was hoping I
could get some help. I would like to start growing a Japanese Maple
(Acer Palmatum). I live in Brooklyn, New York (I know regions/climate
are important) and would probably be growing it for the most part
indoors. I don't really have anywhere to do it outdoors. If anyone
could give me some info I would appreciate it. I've read a lot online,
but I'm sure it doesn't compare to someone's help who has experience
in (hopefully) my area.

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++