GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] My tree, as is. (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/78851-re-%5Bibc%5D-my-tree.html)

Billy M. Rhodes 13-07-2004 04:04 PM

[IBC] My tree, as is.

In a message dated 7/12/2004 12:32:48 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

I took the leaves off my little tree (magnolia, 12 years old)

I know of two species of Magnolia, but I am sure there are more.
However, I have never thought of either species I know as good bonsai material.
The typical Magnolia here in Florida has very large leaves, the other species
which grows in the northern part of Florida is deciduous and blooms with very
large flowers before the leaves come out.

Do you have more of a name for your tree? Lacking a full name, can
you describe it?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast
BSF Annual Convention July 1 - 4, 2005 Radisson Hotel, Cape Canaveral,
Florida
Workshops with Jerry Meislik of Whitefish, Montana, Chase Rosade of New Hope,
PA, and Ben Oki of California.

++++Sponsored, in part, by Chris Cochrane++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Roger Snipes 14-07-2004 12:08 PM

[IBC] My tree, as is.

Billy,

I believe he said it was a Magnolia stellata. That is a deciduous magnolia
with fairly small leaves and flowers. The leaves are around 2" to 3" long
when it is growing in the ground if I remember correctly. It is hardy here
in zone 5, and should make a nice bonsai subject.

Regards,
Roger Snipes Spokane, WA Zone 5, or maybe Zone 6.
Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it,
and then misapplying the wrong remedies. Groucho Marx (1895-1977)

April1201 15-07-2004 06:03 PM

[IBC] My tree, as is.

Yes, that is what it is. It's also called a royal star, or star magnolia. It
has beautiful ribbon like white flowers. In real life it grows from ten to
twenty feet. The leaves are maybe four inches big. We have one where I work,
maybe I'll measure a leaf. I brought a leaf home the other day to compare mine
to it, and there was quite a difference.

There are a bunch of different kinds of magnolias. Ever seen a tulip tree?
That's also a magnolia. A stellata is similar in size and appearance, but has
a different flower.
Subject: [IBC] My tree, as is.