Old 13-08-2004, 04:32 AM

Default need help with azalea I.D.

Hi folks,
I thought I'd post a message here and see if anyone can help me. A
week ago I dug up a large azalea from the flowerbed at my mother's
house. She passed away in January and the house is being sold. I
suppose the plant has been in the ground for 15-20 years, but that's
only a guess. I was wondering if someone can help me identify it. I'm
fairly sure it's some type of satsuki, only because it bloomed
vigorously all through June. The flowers are a bright fuscia/pink, and
small, about 1¼ " across. They are also a hose-in-hose, no ruffles,
but a very standard satsuki shape with 5 distinct star-like petals
(only double). I would think that this is some type of domestic
variety. I'm sure it came from a garden center or nursery. If anyone
has any ideas, I'd be grateful.
Thanks,
Lauren
Old 13-08-2004, 12:40 PM
Jim Lewis

On 13 Aug 2004 at 3:32, wrote:

Hi folks,
I thought I'd post a message here and see if anyone can help me. A
week ago I dug up a large azalea from the flowerbed at my mother's
house. She passed away in January and the house is being sold. I
suppose the plant has been in the ground for 15-20 years, but that's
only a guess. I was wondering if someone can help me identify it. I'm
fairly sure it's some type of satsuki, only because it bloomed
vigorously all through June. The flowers are a bright fuscia/pink, and
small, about 1¼ " across. They are also a hose-in-hose, no ruffles,
but a very standard satsuki shape with 5 distinct star-like petals
(only double). I would think that this is some type of domestic
variety. I'm sure it came from a garden center or nursery. If anyone
has any ideas, I'd be grateful.

Go to your public library and check out Fred Galle's "Azaleas." It
is the English-speaking-world's bible on Azaleas. It's likely that
you can ID your plant there. Galle had a hand in on Ortho's "All
About Azaleas (and Rhododendrons?)" too, but it is only a sketch of
the big book.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Nature

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 13-08-2004, 07:59 PM
Carol Schroeder

Lsuren wrote:
I was wondering if someone can help me identify [a large azalea). I'm
fairly sure it's some type of satsuki, only because it bloomed
vigorously all through June. The flowers are a bright fuscia/pink, and
small, about 1¼ " across. They are also a hose-in-hose, no ruffles,
but a very standard satsuki shape with 5 distinct star-like petals
(only double).

Michael Dirr in Manual of Woody Landscape Plants writes that there are so many azalea cultivars and hybrid groups that it is difficuolt to present all of them. He describes the Satsuki Hybrids as blooming in May for most varieties. They feature many flower forms and many color combinations on one plant. Large flowers appear in mid to late May and June in the Athens [Georgia] area}.

I think, but am not sure, that one very obvious characteristic of the Satsuki is many different color blooms appearing on one plant. Maybe someone on the List can enlighten both of us.

Carol Schroeder
Baltimore Bonsai club

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 13-08-2004, 08:50 PM
Marty

More significant than different colored flowers on a plant is the bi-color
appearence on each flower in many Satsukis.
Marty
[...]

****

****

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++