Old 04-09-2004, 07:05 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Budicia spinosa

This plant, Budicia spinosa, looks like it would make a great bonsai, but I
have never seen a really good one. I brought a small one into the garage to
work on during the storm. I can see one styled like a tree on the African plains
with a very flat top. I watched Jim VanLandingham style one in Vero Beach as a
cascade, but never saw the tree again and don't know how it turned out. I
also watched Mike Rogers work on a large one in Bunnell last fall, but again I
didn't see the tree again. Does anyone have a picture of a good tree. Any
suggestions? Google only brings up an article I wrote about the Mike Rogers demo.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Alan Walker

No photo, Billy, but a care sheet can be found at:
http://www.bonsai-bci.com/species/bucida.html

Alan Walker

Old 04-09-2004, 08:33 PM
Jay Sinclair

I purchased one of these in July. A very nice semi-cascade - almost an
instant bonsai. It was very loose in the pot, and in poor soil, so I
repotted right away. Since I had heard that they didn't like their roots
messed with, I did no root pruning - just rearranged them into the new
pot & bonsai soil. It responded by completely defoliating in the next
heavy rain. I wasn't too alarmed, as it had green buds, and I was
certain that it would leaf out again. We then proceeded to have an
unseasonably cool August. Guess what - they like it HOT. All of the buds
died back.

The jury is still out on whether this tree is going to make it. There is
green cambium, and hints of green in some of the buds. I'm giving it
full sun, and bringing it in if temperatures drop below 55 F.

I'm sure that you will have much less trouble in FL. Have fun with it -
I think they should make very attractive bonsai. Can you post a picture?

Jay

Southeast Michigan, Zone 6ish

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-09-2004, 08:56 PM
kevin bailey

Searching Google images with the keywords - bucida spinosa bonsai - I
came up with a really nice example but it then took a little detective
work as bonsai web have rearranged their pages (internal search got me
to this) http://tinyurl.com/5apfd Where there are several examples but
the one I wanted to show you is the first by Gadiel Gonzalez.

Incidentally that URL was made much smaller using this neat tool
http://tinyurl.com/create.php

Hope yours provides much diversion from the storm and that all passes
you by safely.

Cheers

Kev Bailey
Vale Of Clwyd, North Wales

********
********
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ: http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/

--
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

---
Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-09-2004, 11:26 PM
Jim Lewis

On 4 Sep 2004 at 13:27, Alan Walker wrote:

[...]

Issue #4 of Bonsai Today, if you can get hold of one, has an
article on it.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!