GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Root Nodules (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/83336-re-%5Bibc%5D-root-nodules.html)

Henrik Gistvall 10-09-2004 11:18 AM

To my knowledge only some species produse these "Nitrogen fixation
bacteria nests", eg here in Sweden alder Alnus glutinosa. I donīt think
the Ulmus produces such nodules. What is the shape? Does it look like a
old chewing gum?

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hallow Everybody

I will be grateful if someone can provide information as to how to differentiate between root nodules made my Nematodes and Nitrogen fixation bacteria. While repotting a Chinese elm and a Ficus benghalensis, I found some nodules in the roots. Some plant growers say these are nests of Nematodes (Eel Worms) while the others say these are Nitrogen fixation bacteria nests. Both the plants are otherwise growing normally.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 10-09-2004 02:38 PM

Hallow Everybody

I will be grateful if someone can provide information as to how to differentiate between root nodules made my Nematodes and Nitrogen fixation bacteria. While repotting a Chinese elm and a Ficus benghalensis, I found some nodules in the roots. Some plant growers say these are nests of Nematodes (Eel Worms) while the others say these are Nitrogen fixation bacteria nests. Both the plants are otherwise growing normally.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

Anil:

Nina is best qualified to address this question. I have NEVER encountered nitrogen-fixing nodules with Elms. I have had encounters with Root Knot Nematodes. In this instance, the nodes were attached very closely to the roots at the base of the trunk.

If you have Nematodes, chopped Sesame Root(Nematrol) can be used or methyl bromide (nematicide). Also, if the tree has Nematodes, you will see leaves start to wilt.

You will need to make a positive identification. If the tree has nematodes, you will need to remove them, remove the old soil, repot, and then treat the specimen. The tree can be saved most likely.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 10-09-2004 10:52 PM

In a message dated 9/10/2004 4:54:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

While repotting a Chinese elm and a Ficus benghalensis, I found some
nodules in the roots. Some plant growers say these are nests of Nematodes (Eel
Worms) while the others say these are Nitrogen fixation bacteria nests.

I have never seen Nematodes or Nitrogen fixing bacteria on either of
these species, but I think it is more likely Nematodes. I would cut the
nodules open with a razor and try to find a magnifying glass or microscope to
examine the result. An alternative might be contacting an agricultural college.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Billy M. Rhodes 10-09-2004 11:10 PM

In a message dated 9/10/2004 9:52:26 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
writes:

If you have Nematodes, chopped Sesame Root(Nematrol) can be used or methyl
bromide (nematicide).

Be very careful with methyl bromide. Wear protective clothing or let a
professional do it. It can be nasty stuff.