Old 10-09-2004, 11:18 AM
Henrik Gistvall

To my knowledge only some species produse these "Nitrogen fixation
bacteria nests", eg here in Sweden alder Alnus glutinosa. I donīt think
the Ulmus produces such nodules. What is the shape? Does it look like a
old chewing gum?

Henrik Gistvall, Uppsala, Sweden

Anil Kaushik wrote:

Hallow Everybody

I will be grateful if someone can provide information as to how to differentiate between root nodules made my Nematodes and Nitrogen fixation bacteria. While repotting a Chinese elm and a Ficus benghalensis, I found some nodules in the roots. Some plant growers say these are nests of Nematodes (Eel Worms) while the others say these are Nitrogen fixation bacteria nests. Both the plants are otherwise growing normally.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 10-09-2004, 02:38 PM
Michael Persiano

Hallow Everybody

I will be grateful if someone can provide information as to how to differentiate between root nodules made my Nematodes and Nitrogen fixation bacteria. While repotting a Chinese elm and a Ficus benghalensis, I found some nodules in the roots. Some plant growers say these are nests of Nematodes (Eel Worms) while the others say these are Nitrogen fixation bacteria nests. Both the plants are otherwise growing normally.

Regards

Anil Kaushik
Bonsai Club (India)
Chandigarh.

Anil:

Nina is best qualified to address this question. I have NEVER encountered nitrogen-fixing nodules with Elms. I have had encounters with Root Knot Nematodes. In this instance, the nodes were attached very closely to the roots at the base of the trunk.

If you have Nematodes, chopped Sesame Root(Nematrol) can be used or methyl bromide (nematicide). Also, if the tree has Nematodes, you will see leaves start to wilt.

You will need to make a positive identification. If the tree has nematodes, you will need to remove them, remove the old soil, repot, and then treat the specimen. The tree can be saved most likely.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Ophiopogon root nodules Spider[_3_] United Kingdom 6 21-04-2016 07:01 PM
Nodules on bay tree Mozie Gardening 2 29-12-2005 10:25 AM
Oak tree nodules Rick Gardening 11 21-08-2005 04:17 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules and Neea buxifolia Anil Kaushik Bonsai 4 14-09-2004 01:55 PM
[IBC] Root Nodules Anil Kaushik Bonsai 1 10-09-2004 11:18 AM