Old 21-09-2004, 04:05 PM

Default [IBC] Diseases

Have you ever noticed? Conditions that are considered horrible diseases in
animals and humans are desirable traits in trees: Scleroderma, elephantiasis,
vitiligo, torticollis, dwarfism, psoriasis, etc. Remember albinism in plants
means white flowers; albino animals & people have white hair & pink eyes. As far
as I know, there is no equivalent in animals of variegated foliage, since all
parts of the body must have circulation of red blood cells.
Iris

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 21-09-2004, 04:22 PM
Lynn Boyd

Have you ever noticed? Conditions that are considered horrible diseases in
animals and humans are desirable traits in trees: Scleroderma,

elephantiasis,
vitiligo, torticollis, dwarfism, psoriasis, etc. Remember albinism in

plants
means white flowers; albino animals & people have white hair & pink eyes.

As far
as I know, there is no equivalent in animals of variegated foliage, since

all
parts of the body must have circulation of red blood cells.
Iris

------------------

I am not sure about that, Iris. Hair on dogs and on people can be
quite variegated. Is it possibly foliage?
Hm - well, I guess not - hair doesn't fill the same job
requirements . . . that may be relevant . . .
Now, why does this occupy my mind - ach!

Lynn

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 03-10-2004, 04:09 AM
Alan Walker

Lynn: Then there is the condition called vitiligo which could be
considered a type of dermal variegation for humans.
Alan Walker

Old 03-10-2004, 03:13 PM
Iris Cohen

Then there is the condition called vitiligo which could be considered a type
of dermal variegation for humans.

As I explained already, vitiligo is not the human equivalent of variegated
foliage. The white patches in vitiligo are the absence of melanin pigment. The
entire skin has a blood supply, otherwise gangrene would occur.
Vitiligo can be compared to a plant which has patches of red or purple on green
leaves, like some coleus, not on white and green variegation.
In variegated foliage, the venetion throughout the leaf is normal. The palisade
layer, which contains the chloroplasts, is missing, or some of the chloroplasts
are lacking in chlorophyll. The green parts of the leaf perform photosynthesis
and send nutrients to the white part. But this is similar to supporting
flowers, so variegated plants tend to be weaker or slower growing than all
green ones.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
train."
Robert Lowell (1917-1977)

[IBC] Diseases Kitsune Miko Bonsai 0 21-09-2004 04:06 PM
[IBC] Diseases [email protected] Bonsai 0 21-09-2004 04:05 PM
[IBC] Tree diseases, insects, etc. jklewis Bonsai 0 18-08-2004 03:42 PM
[IBC] Tree diseases, insects, etc. jklewis Bonsai 0 18-08-2004 03:42 PM
What to watch for (diseases)(Tim) Sue Roses 0 22-03-2003 04:44 PM