Old 19-09-2004, 12:49 PM
Kevin Bailey

Default [IBC] Species ID

I'm trying to ID a tree for a friend and having no luck so far. He
thinks it is Mediterranean. It has compound leaves but the leaflets have
a slight Ginkgo look about them. I've put a picture on the gallery he
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...pic.php?t=1961

I would be very grateful for any help.

Best wishes

Kev Bailey

---

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-09-2004, 03:00 PM
Jim Lewis

On 19 Sep 2000 at 12:51, Kevin Bailey wrote:

I'm trying to ID a tree for a friend and having no luck so far. He
thinks it is Mediterranean. It has compound leaves but the leaflets have
a slight Ginkgo look about them. I've put a picture on the gallery he
http://internetbonsaiclub.org/galler...pic.php?t=1961

I would be very grateful for any help.

Look under the "Leguminosae." There are a gazillion of them,
and guessing the species (or often even the Genus) is tough.
But this is a typical Legume-type leaf. The Mediterranean has
lots of 'em. The group includes Acacia, Albizia, Mimosa,
Amorpha, Caesalpinia, Canavalia, Cercis (redbud), Chamaecrista,
Dalbergia, Erythrina, Indigofera, Lespideza, Leucaena, Lupinus,
Pithecellobium (TX ebony), Pueraria (kudzu), Robina (locust),
Senna, Sesbania, Sophora, and Wisteria -- that that's just in
Florida.

If you do a Google search, there's a good systemics website
devoted solely to the Legumes. I thought I had it bookmarked,
but apparently not.

Good luck.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Only where
people have learned to appreciate and cherish the landscape and
its living cover will they treat it with the care and respect it
should have - Paul Bigelow Sears.

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 19-09-2004, 06:04 PM
Kevin Bailey

Thanks Jim,

This is probably the one that you meant.
http://www.ildis.org/LegumeWeb/6.00/ I'll look around some more when
I've got time!

Cheers

Kev Bailey

[...]