GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Maple dying, elm setback? (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/84014-re-%5Bibc%5D-maple-dying-elm-setback.html)

Michael Persiano 23-09-2004 11:50 PM

[IBC] Maple dying, elm setback?

In a message dated 9/23/2004 7:15:43 AM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Also, my elm which is yet to be correctly identified but beleived to be
chinese elm, was root pruned heavily, still alive but not yet thrown leaves
from shoots. However a quick check a few hours ago revealed a good sign of
bud swell. I am confident it will live.
Any ideas on the maple? Has it and the elm suffered slight setback from
heavy rootpruning?
Other deciduous including an English Elm (I think) and Liquidamber have new
growth on them, all are in same environment. Also all deciduous trees in the
area have new growth.
Thanks for any help.
Andrew
Andrew:

It is not unusual for Elms to product leaves late in the season. However,
were both of these tree protected for the winter, i.e., placed under cover, or
were they left outside to face the elements. Frequent freeze-thaw cycles can
disrupt root pads and lead to this kind of problem.

Cordially,

Michael Persianio
members.aol.com/iasnob

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steven Wachs 24-09-2004 04:40 AM

I am in NY therefore I would not know if my situation would be the same as
yours . I have had a problem with Maples this growing season. I collect
Japanese Maples, mostly Palmatums/.I lost several young trees this spring. for no
apparent reason.
I also noticed that some landscape Palmatumson Long Island with severe die
back. For some reason leaves on certain branches were turning brown and
dying. Branches next to dying branches appeared not to be affected. I have seen
this repeatedly lately and I am concerned as to whether there is something
contagious going around.

SteveW
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 24-09-2004 12:16 PM

In a message dated 9/23/2004 11:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, STEVEW70146
writes:
I also noticed that some landscape Palmatumson Long Island with severe die
back. For some reason leaves on certain branches were turning brown and dying.
Branches next to dying branches appeared not to be affected. I have seen
this repeatedly lately and I am concerned as to whether there is something
contagious going around.
Steve:

It "sounds" like a root zone problem, but it is hard to confirm this way. If
the pad is solid, pop it out of the pot and inspect the roots. If the roots
are black and lack white cores, you have a root rot problem. This can be
cured by cutting back on the dead root until white cores appear. Next soak the
pad in a Benomyl solution or comparable fungicide for 15 mintues. Repot the
tree in fresh soil and place it in an area for the winter where it will not
freeze.

I would like to know what you are using for a soil mix and how often you
water.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steven Wachs 24-09-2004 06:17 PM

I use different fertilizers depending on when I am using it. i use a high nitrogen fert. in the spring. In the fall i use A low nitrogen fert in the late summer. I reduce the recommended dosage to 1/4 as indicated on the label and apply every 2 weeks. i use the low dosage so I can spread the fert over the summer. I use super Phosphate once a year on certain trees depending on their flowering season e.g azaleas crab apples Pyracantha
stevew
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 24-09-2004 06:19 PM

In a message dated 9/24/2004 1:01:07 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Hi Everybody

In a reply to Andrew's query on the above subject, Jim wrote," Fertilizing
won't hurt at this time. Once every 2 weeks. Follow instructions on label."
I doubt if it is advisable to fertilize so soon after a major surgery.
Anil:

Fertilizing will not harm the tree. The tree will only take what it can use.
I recommend using Root2 to mitigate transplant shock.

Michael Persiano 24-09-2004 08:51 PM

In a message dated 9/24/2004 3:46:23 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
I routinely fertilize after repotting, and I always mix the
fertilizer according to the label, and have never had any
problems therefrom.
Ditto from Mr. Superfeeding on that. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Jim Lewis 24-09-2004 08:58 PM

writes:
I routinely fertilize after repotting, and I always mix the
fertilizer according to the label, and have never had any
problems therefrom.

Ditto from Mr. Superfeeding on that. );-)

Cordially,

Michael Persiano

Ahhhh. Vindication! ;-)

(But I still don't use Superthive ;-)

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Steven Wachs 24-09-2004 09:01 PM

When I do surgery on a tree where I do heavy root pruning I hold back on fertilizer, but i do use Superthrive or B1 start up. on the roots, then wait about 30 days to fertilize.

Stevew
LINY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Michael Persiano 24-09-2004 11:15 PM

In a message dated 9/24/2004 3:58:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
writes:
Ahhhh. Vindication! ;-)

(But I still don't use Superthive ;-)
Ahhhh, but neither do I. );-)))) I am a Roots2 fanatic!

Cordially,

Michael