Old 24-09-2004, 04:40 AM
Steven Wachs

I am in NY therefore I would not know if my situation would be the same as
yours . I have had a problem with Maples this growing season. I collect
Japanese Maples, mostly Palmatums/.I lost several young trees this spring. for no
apparent reason.
I also noticed that some landscape Palmatumson Long Island with severe die
back. For some reason leaves on certain branches were turning brown and
dying. Branches next to dying branches appeared not to be affected. I have seen
this repeatedly lately and I am concerned as to whether there is something
contagious going around.

SteveW
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-09-2004, 12:16 PM
Michael Persiano

In a message dated 9/23/2004 11:40:15 PM Eastern Standard Time, STEVEW70146
writes:
I also noticed that some landscape Palmatumson Long Island with severe die
back. For some reason leaves on certain branches were turning brown and dying.
Branches next to dying branches appeared not to be affected. I have seen
this repeatedly lately and I am concerned as to whether there is something
contagious going around.
Steve:

It "sounds" like a root zone problem, but it is hard to confirm this way. If
the pad is solid, pop it out of the pot and inspect the roots. If the roots
are black and lack white cores, you have a root rot problem. This can be
cured by cutting back on the dead root until white cores appear. Next soak the
pad in a Benomyl solution or comparable fungicide for 15 mintues. Repot the
tree in fresh soil and place it in an area for the winter where it will not
freeze.

I would like to know what you are using for a soil mix and how often you
water.

Cordially,

Michael Persiano
members.aol.com/iasnob

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 06:17 PM
Steven Wachs

I use different fertilizers depending on when I am using it. i use a high nitrogen fert. in the spring. In the fall i use A low nitrogen fert in the late summer. I reduce the recommended dosage to 1/4 as indicated on the label and apply every 2 weeks. i use the low dosage so I can spread the fert over the summer. I use super Phosphate once a year on certain trees depending on their flowering season e.g azaleas crab apples Pyracantha
stevew
LI NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 24-09-2004, 09:01 PM
Steven Wachs

When I do surgery on a tree where I do heavy root pruning I hold back on fertilizer, but i do use Superthrive or B1 start up. on the roots, then wait about 30 days to fertilize.

Stevew
LINY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++