Old 29-09-2004, 09:22 PM
Billy M. Rhodes

Default [IBC] Scale and other research

I came to have a copy of Agricultural Research published by the USDA in Dec.
2003.
Two articles of possible interest to us.

One: "Helping Plants Defend Themselves," detail research into using sprays of
salicylic acid (the primary ingredient in Aspirin and the natural product of
Willow Bark) to trigger a plant's own production of natural insect protection.
Apparently there are products already on the market that contain salicylic
acid for spraying on plants and this research finds that they do work. A web
site listed is www.nps.ars.usda.gov.

Two: "On the Lookout for Scaley Invaders" details the development of a scale
insect database. The site listed is
www.sel.barc.usda.gov/scalenet/scalenet.htm but this didn't work for me and I went to www.sel.barc.usda.gov and
followed links to the Scalenet.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 30-09-2004, 06:19 PM
Steve wachs

I use a product called Ultra Fine oli. I put it in a spray bottle and do the
entire tree. including the underside of leaves. TThe scale dries up and
falls off. I do not usually get reoccurances. I have seen Sun Oil used. I am
referring to the common cooking oil. Diluted to an ounce per gallon of water.
Applied thru a sprayer to all surfaces of an indected tree. Scale seems to dry
up from the oil. It does work

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++