GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] 2004 Growing Season Summary (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/84602-%5Bibc%5D-2004-growing-season-summary.html)

Beckenbach, Jay 05-10-2004 02:09 PM

[IBC] 2004 Growing Season Summary

Now that the 2004 growing season is coming to an end, I am beginning to look
back on it. Here is my summary:

summer days, long, bright,
Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne,
defoliation

I hope 2004 treated you and your plants well.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Jim Lewis 05-10-2004 02:32 PM

On 5 Oct 2004 at 9:09, Beckenbach, Jay wrote:

Now that the 2004 growing season is coming to an end, I am beginning to look
back on it. Here is my summary:

summer days, long, bright,
Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne,
defoliation

I hope 2004 treated you and your plants well.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

And up here, we had Tropical Storm Bonnie, too.

Trees made it through fine.

But, we have 2 months of hurricane season left and the worst
storm we ever had up here in my 30 plus years in Tallahassee was
Kate in 1985 two days before Thanksgiving that left us without
power for 17 days.

Jim Lewis -
- Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

Craig Cowing 05-10-2004 02:37 PM

"Beckenbach, Jay" wrote:

Now that the 2004 growing season is coming to an end, I am beginning to look
back on it. Here is my summary:

summer days, long, bright,
Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne,
defoliation

I hope 2004 treated you and your plants well.

Have fun - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

This was a good season for my trees. A bit wetter than I would have asked for, but
I didn't have to water as much.

I feel I made good progress on my better trees in terms of refinement.

I don't know if I'll get any collecting in this fall with the wedding coming up in
less than two weeks, and being on our honeymoon for two weeks after that. Oh
well. I guess we'll just have to dream about collecting trees in the spring. It
will come soon enough.

The tropicals have been coming in the last couple of days. The rest of the
tropicals and the cacti come in today. We will likely get our first frost tonight.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

Beckenbach, Jay 05-10-2004 03:30 PM

aah, the joys of the learning curve toe!

My dictionary says "a Japanese poem or verse form consisting of 17 syllables
divided into 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables, often about nature or a
season." What was missing from the definition?

Thanks - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

Kitsune Miko 05-10-2004 03:49 PM

Yes, but....it doesn't alwyas work by that definition
in English. Yours works for the moment, describes a
moment, is seasonal, but lacks that punch or twist
characteristic of haiku.

summer's warmth
quickly forgotton
frost on my soul

Kitsune Miko
--- "Beckenbach, Jay" wrote:

aah, the joys of the learning curve toe!

My dictionary says "a Japanese poem or verse form
consisting of 17 syllables
divided into 3 lines of 5, 7 and 5 syllables, often
about nature or a
season." What was missing from the definition?

Thanks - jay

Jay Beckenbach - Melrose, FL - Zone 8b/9a -

Now that the 2004 growing season is coming to an

end, I am beginning to
look
back on it. Here is my summary:

summer days, long, bright,
Charley, Frances, Ivan, Jeanne,
defoliation

++++Sponsored, in part, by Boon
Manakitivipart++++

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:

http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail
+++++

=====
****
"Expectations are resentments under construction."

Anne Lamott

Jim Lewis 05-10-2004 10:15 PM

On 5 Oct 2004 at 7:49, Kitsune Miko wrote:

Yes, but....it doesn't alwyas work by that definition
in English. Yours works for the moment, describes a
moment, is seasonal, but lacks that punch or twist
characteristic of haiku.

summer's warmth
quickly forgotton
frost on my soul

Kitsune Miko

Haiku is the O. Henry (or Saki) of poetry. ;-)

Beckenbach, Jay 06-10-2004 01:28 PM

OK, thanks. I'll try to remember that when I try again.

Thanks and have fun - jay