Old 14-11-2004, 11:11 PM
John Brengle

Default [IBC] Juniper in Trouble?

I have a Juniper Procumbens "nana" that I potted and began styling last
March. All went well throughout the summer, until about two month ago
when I noticed dieback on several branches. The tip growth on these
branches is green and lush, but the growth is brown from there back. I
have not fertilized his plant since I initially potted it.

--
John Brengle

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 15-11-2004, 12:42 AM
Jim Lewis

On 14 Nov 2004 at 21:17, John Brengle wrote:

I have a Juniper Procumbens "nana" that I potted and began styling last
March. All went well throughout the summer, until about two month ago
when I noticed dieback on several branches. The tip growth on these
branches is green and lush, but the growth is brown from there back. I
have not fertilized his plant since I initially potted it.

Are you still getting new growth at this time of year?

Watch your watering. The most common cause of death for J.p.
nana bonsai is root rot from overwatering, and overwatering is
easier this time of year than any other, as the plant stays
green but really goes into slow-down mode, and even dormancy in
really cold areas.

Water as soon as the soil feels dry. Don't water if there is
ANY dampness.

Hard to tell if the tree is in trouble without seeing and
touching it. Dead junipers -feel- dry and prickly. Live ones
feel prickly, but are softer/smoother feeling.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-11-2004, 12:43 AM
Justin Nash

Check to see if it is spider mites. My junipers get hit pretty hard every
year all year, except for when winter is in full swing. Get a sheet of
computer paper under the branch and shake the branch a little. If they're
there you'll see them.

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++