GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   [IBC] Ulmus aka Elm (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/87587-re-%5Bibc%5D-ulmus-aka-elm.html)

Steve wachs 12-12-2004 07:41 PM

I live on Long Island, and have several Elms. I keep my trees outside.
Sometimes Ii bring one or two in my house, I wait until after they drop their
leaves before I bring them in.

SteveW
Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Steve wachs 12-12-2004 07:44 PM

The Catlin Elm does not need a cold climate. matter of fact if I remember
correctly , it cannot be left outside at all once it gets cold

SteveW

Long Island NY

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Brent Walston 12-12-2004 08:08 PM

Steve wachs wrote:

The Catlin Elm does not need a cold climate. matter of fact if I remember
correctly , it cannot be left outside at all once it gets cold

SteveW

Long Island NY

Catlins elms are more evergreen-like than species Ulmus parvifolia. The
leaves do not get fall color, but rather just die and turn brown after
being frost killed, at around low 20's F. However, temperatures down to
around 18F doesn't seem to bother them. You might get small branch
dieback on very soft new wood though.

Brent
EvergreenGardenworks.com
N. California Zone 8

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Billy M. Rhodes 12-12-2004 08:42 PM

I have a number of Chinese Elm cultivars. Some were grown from cuttings taken
from a nursery purchased landscape tree that was sold as Siberian Elm. These
cuttings are now more than 20 years old with little more than one inch trunks.
I suppose they are bunjin. One is in a bonsai pot and last winter lost all of
its leaves for about two months. Since it has decent ramification I took it
to the office and displayed for its branch structure.
I also have some of the Catlin - Sasuki (sp.) cultivars. They tend to hold
their leaves longer. All of these remain outside all winter here on the Space
Coast.

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Iris Cohen 13-12-2004 03:33 AM

It seems that "apple" translated poorly from Hebrew to Greek then to Latin
and ultimately to English and it probably should have read "pomegranate."

There are no specific fruits mentioned in the Garden of Eden story at all,
except for the fig leaves they sewed together to make clothes. The only place I
remember apples being mentioned is Song of Songs. I'll have to go back & see
what the Hebrew is in that part.
Iris,
Central NY, Zone 5a, Sunset Zone 40
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it." Yogi Berra

Theo 13-12-2004 06:26 AM

HI
Many years ago
I read that according researchers the Eden's fruit was apricot as
native of these reagions and not apple as apparently unknown there

--
MSN messanger / or ICQ 25 666 169 4
Private Mail :