Old 18-01-2005, 01:43 AM
Colin Horn

Default [IBC] beetle on my juniper

I noticed today that 2 pads of foilage on my Shimpaku juniper were brown.
Two days ago, these pads were perfectly fine, a healthy green, no signs of
weakness. As I was looking at what may have been the cause, I saw some sort
of bug on the trunk. I do not know what kind of bug it was, but it is about
1 inch long, brown, has 6 legs, a small head and it looks like it had wings.
It looks like some kind of beetle? My concern is whether or not the bug is
what caused this immediate proble, or if I should be worried that there is
something still wrong. THanks for all the help. - Colin Horn, SF Bay Area,
CA

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 18-01-2005, 02:33 AM
Jim Lewis

On 17 Jan 2005 at 18:42, Colin Horn wrote:

I noticed today that 2 pads of foilage on my Shimpaku juniper were brown.
Two days ago, these pads were perfectly fine, a healthy green, no signs of
weakness. As I was looking at what may have been the cause, I saw some sort
of bug on the trunk. I do not know what kind of bug it was, but it is about
1 inch long, brown, has 6 legs, a small head and it looks like it had wings.
It looks like some kind of beetle? My concern is whether or not the bug is
what caused this immediate proble, or if I should be worried that there is
something still wrong. THanks for all the help. - Colin Horn, SF Bay Area,
CA

T'warn't the "beetle."

Beetles are chewing insects; they eat things; they don't turn
them brown.

Spider mites or other sucking insects (most of them small and
hard to see, with ONE unlikely exception, see next) might turn
juniper needles brown (but not at this time of year -- ASSUMING
your juniper is outside).

The exception _might_ be one of the true bugs (stink bugs, etc.)
but I don't know any that think junipers are tasty. They'd fit
your description -- kinda.

If your tree is an "indoor tree" (and their ain't no such
animal, really) you could have any or all of the sucking bugs
(scale, aphids, mealybugs, etc.), and I'd look closely at your
tree's branches with a hand lens.

Other causes of browned needles include bad roots from
over/under watering. Spraying with something that should not
have been sprayed on a juniper (read the label!) and broken
branches.

It could also just have been that branch's time. It IS winter,
though 2 days is a bit sudden, especially since juniper needles
usually take weeks to turn brown. How do other branches look?

A little history of this tree -- water, fertilizer, where kept,
how long you've had it, etc. -- might help.

A parting thought: HOW brown? Juniper needles often turn a
_bit_ rusty looking in winter, then go back to being green in
spring.

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - Bonsaiests
are like genealogists: We know our roots!

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-01-2005, 03:27 AM
Colin Horn

I keep the juniper outside on my porch. Ive never had problems with insects
before except for scale last year, but nothing serious. The tree gets sun in
the daytime, and I keep it watered, but I try to lean towards the dry side
since its a juniper. I know that overwatering definitely was not the
problem, and I seriously doubt that underwatering would be a problem. I've
had it for 1 year, ive been training it the whole time and its been healthy
ever since. With the two pathces of foilage that have turned brown, these
patches are amongst other patches coming form diferent sources, but none of
the other patches have changed- still green and healthy. The damaged patches
have turned a light medium brown, but i can see with a couple "needles" on
these pathes that the tips on some are gren, while close to their branch is
brown. They are still soft to the touch, not dry or crusty. If beetles dont
do this kind of damage, what can do it in such a fast span of time? I dont
think any changes in environment could do something like this in a matter of
2 days. Im open for any sugestions. Thanks again,- Colin Horn, SF Bay Area,
CA

From: Jim Lewis

Subject: [IBC] beetle on my juniper
Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 21:32:07 -0500

************************************************* *******************************
************************************************* *******************************

Old 18-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Do you have a cat?

Billy on the Florida Space Coast

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 18-01-2005, 10:19 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Old 18-01-2005, 08:59 PM
Jim Lewis

On 17 Jan 2005 at 20:26, Colin Horn wrote:

[...]

Well, my best guess would be aphids, scale, or spider mites.
Use that hand lens and examine the tree closely. Spider mites
are tiny and (often) reddish. Aphids are bigger and reddish,
white/clear or black and soft looking. Scale looks like white
or gray lumps on the limbs.

A hard spray of water into the branches (repeated every day for
a few days) will get rid of either of the first two. At this
time of year, a dormant oil spray will get rid of any of these
critters.

It's really impossible to diagnose from 3000 miles and sight
unseen, though.

Good luck.