Old 17-02-2005, 07:32 PM

Default [IBC] Name Change

Please note that the name Bonsai Kai of Central New York has been changed to Bonsai Club of Central New York, to reflect the fact that Bonsai is now a universal art, practiced in many different cultures.
Iris

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 19-02-2005, 01:18 PM

From: * *Eltee
Please note that the name Bonsai Kai of Central New York
has been changed to Bonsai Club of Central New York,
to reflect the fact that Bonsai is now a universal art,

Now? Now meaning "since yesterday"?

Are you trying to be smart? This has obviously been a gradual process ever since the introduction of bonsai to the West, primarily after World War II. The old-timers in our club who insisted on Kai are all gone now, and the change was accepted unanimously. I happen to like the type font Rickshaw, which reflects bonsai's Oriental origins, so I will keep it in our newsletter.

practiced in many different cultures.

Such as Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, etc.?

Such as India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Europe, Canada, the US, South Africa, and South America, as you will notice if you subscribe to this group.

Old 19-02-2005, 01:43 PM
Craig Cowing

writes:

From: * *Eltee
[...]

I doubt that would fly in Yama Ki Bonsai Society, my club, which still
has many founding members who studied under Yuji Yoshimura. Good idea
though.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Mike Page++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 20-02-2005, 12:25 AM

I doubt that would fly in Yama Ki Bonsai Society, my club, which still
has many founding members who studied under Yuji Yoshimura.

I also studied a few times under Yuji z''l. Somehow I don't think he would object, but it's their club.

Old 20-02-2005, 03:57 PM
figaro

I am always amazed that some people can take the simplest comment and turn
it into a ****ing contest.

The comment by Iris Cohen was not meant to imply that she had personally
declared bonsai a univeral art as of yesterday. It was merely a comment
stating a fact. Get a grip.

I can only assume that Eltee has a problem with Iris personally because
Eltee's conclusions are extreme and irrational. It is people like Eltee
that prevent a lot of knowledgeable people from posting. Who needs that
kind of agravation from idiots?

From: Eltee
Newsgroups: rec.arts.bonsai
Date: Sun, 20 Feb 2005 15:48:52 +0100
Subject: [IBC] Name Change

wrote:

Please note that the name Bonsai Kai of Central New York
has been changed to Bonsai Club of Central New York,
to reflect the fact that Bonsai is now a universal art,

Now? Now meaning "since yesterday"?

Are you trying to be smart?

No. I thought _you_ were trying to be smart: letting the people know that
"Bonsai is now a universal art" after it has been practiced all over the world
for the better part of a century? Come on!

This has obviously been a gradual process ever since the
introduction of bonsai to the West, primarily after World
War II. The old-timers in our club who insisted on Kai are
all gone now, and the change was accepted unanimously.

"Your" old-timers were traditionalists. But that doesn't mean that only now
that
they're gone, the art became "international" as you seem to imply.

I happen to like the type font Rickshaw, which reflects
bonsai's Oriental origins, so I will keep it in our newsletter.

practiced in many different cultures.

Such as Chinese, Taiwanese, Japanese, Korean, etc.?

Such as India, Indonesia, the Philippines, Europe, Canada,
the US, South Africa, and South America,

All these "cultures" have become acquainted with bonsai very recently, I take
it?

Old 20-02-2005, 07:48 PM
Jim Lewis

On 20 Feb 2005 at 11:44, idum wrote:

Well said figaro!
Jay

"figaro" wrote in message
I am always amazed that some people can take the simplest comment and turn
it into a ****ing contest.

The comment by Iris Cohen was not meant to imply that she had personally
declared bonsai a univeral art as of yesterday. It was merely a comment
stating a fact. Get a grip.

I can only assume that Eltee has a problem with Iris personally because
Eltee's conclusions are extreme and irrational. It is people like Eltee
that prevent a lot of knowledgeable people from posting. Who needs that
kind of agravation from idiots?

Folks, until we can find something real (and that actually
matters) to argue about, let's not, eh?

Jim Lewis - - Hit THINK before you hit SEND

Old 21-02-2005, 07:32 AM
Eltee

figaro wrote:

The comment by Iris Cohen was not meant to imply that she had personally
declared bonsai a univeral art as of yesterday. It was merely a comment
stating a fact.

Then let's get our facts straight, shall we. "Reflecting the fact that Bonsai is
_now_ a universal art" came a good half a century too late. Asking us to
"note" that, is more than a little patronizing.

Get a grip.

Speaking of patronizing...

I can only assume that Eltee has a problem with Iris personally

How could I? I don't know her nor what she does.

because
Eltee's conclusions are extreme

Extreme? What's extreme about them? Come on, seriously, tell me explicitly
word-for-word, what's extreme about my "conclusions"!

and irrational.

Yeah, well, we can't all be rational. Then again, like above, could you tell me
what's irrational about my "conclusions"?

Old 21-02-2005, 04:33 PM
Jim Lewis

On 21 Feb 2005 at 8:32, Eltee wrote:

figaro wrote:

The comment by Iris Cohen was not meant to imply that she had personally
declared bonsai a univeral art as of yesterday. It was merely a comment
stating a fact.

Then let's get our facts straight, shall we. "Reflecting the fact that Bonsai is
_now_ a universal art" came a good half a century too late. Asking us to
"note" that, is more than a little patronizing.

Folks, please stop. This is childish at best, and at least 100%
immaterial. If it keeps on, we moderators will have to "take
steps."

Jim Lewis - - Tallahassee, FL - List
manager emeritus

Old 21-02-2005, 06:01 PM
Philip Lewis

Eltee writes:
Then let's get our facts straight, shall we. "Reflecting the fact that Bonsai is
_now_ a universal art" came a good half a century too late. Asking us to

You seem to be using a semantical usage of the word "now" which
indicates a specific time (time of utterance).

Iris used it to represent the current time in a broader sense.

Your usage:
"I need you to do this now."

Her usage:
"The Kudzu plant originated in asia, but is now found all over the
southern US"

If someone were to say the latter, i doubt a reasonable person would
assume the plant sprung up all over the south at once.

Close your eyes.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Think about the days getting longer and the spring when you can get
back to caring for your trees.[*]

Relax.

--
be safe.
flip

Old 21-02-2005, 07:22 PM

In a message dated 2/21/05 12:04:00 AM, Eltee writes:
I thought _you_ were trying to be smart: letting the people know that
"Bonsai is now a universal art" after it has been practiced all over the world for
the better part of a century?

I'm afraid we have a very needless misunderstanding here. I'm sorry you took
umbrage at the wording. I sent the same announcement to everyone on my bonsai
e-mail list, including newspapers, other clubs, & members who were not at the
meeting. Despite what is obvious to you, the media often add to my
announcements "the Japanese art of miniature trees" or something similar. That's why I
added that bit about a universal art.

"Your" old-timers were traditionalists. But that doesn't mean that only now
that they're gone, the art became "international" as you seem to imply.

Not at all. What I meant is that the club was able to change the name now
that the traditionalists are gone. One of our members suggested the change years
ago, but was voted down.

All these "cultures" have become acquainted with bonsai very recently, I
take it?

I don't know that much about bonsai history. I believe it was popularized in
this country by Yuji Yoshimura & John Naka starting in the 50's. It has been
growing in other parts of the Western World for the past 20 years or so. I
never meant to imply that this was a very recent development. Why do you ask?

Old 22-02-2005, 08:45 AM
Eltee

Philip Lewis wrote:

Then let's get our facts straight, shall we. "Reflecting the fact that Bonsai is
_now_ a universal art" came a good half a century too late. Asking us to

You seem to be using a semantical usage of the word "now" which
indicates a specific time (time of utterance).

Iris used it to represent the current time in a broader sense.

Your usage:
"I need you to do this now."

Her usage:
"The Kudzu plant originated in asia, but is now found all over the
southern US"

Thanks for this linguistical lesson, Philip. However, that was not the point.
The better part of the sentence making the point you conveniently snipped. It
starts with "Asking us to...".

If someone were to say the latter, i doubt a reasonable person would
assume the plant sprung up all over the south at once.

Close your eyes.

Breath in.

Breath out.

Are you trying to get cute with me, Philip? ;-)

Think about the days getting longer and the spring when you can get
back to caring for your trees.[*]

Relax.

I know what that means: members of IBC mailing list prefer sweet-talk to
reality. Raymon put it even more directly in this post some time ago (not to be
viewed if you're under 18 or if you have a weak heart!):
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/...e5aa9?q=raymon