Old 16-03-2005, 09:03 AM
Lee In Mashiko, Japan

Default Japanese apprentice, not only bonsai, interesting

Dale Cochoy on Mar 6 2002, 11:51 am wrote:

I thought this story might be interesting to a few. We often talk

about or
hear about bonsai apprentiships in Japan. This story is by a potter,

Mel
Jacobson, who studied with a famous Japanese potter, Mr. Hamada.. He
recently posted it to the ceramic newsgroup. His story reminds me

of the
"wire on-wire off" stories along with other stories of long days, no

time
off, and constant work. So many of his statements and sentiments soud
familiar.

Hi Dale,

I think you misunderstood Hamada. He wasn't saying to avoid
an apprenticeship, because it is difficult. The experience
described by the other potter was a cakewalk compared to most
experiences I know. I did 3 years with a National Living Treasure.
I tell you, I don't regret it.

Here is Hamada in his own words:

"Just to give oneself up to folk art will never do. One must chew and
eat up mingei (folkcraft) -- eat it, consume it, put it in your belly;
to put it in your system and digest it is what is required in this day
and age. We are to assimilate it and do something of our own with
this
food."

So, you totally surrender to learn. Then, when you complete
your apprenticeship, if you are not simply parasitic, you make
something new.

--
Lee in Mashiko, Japan
http://groups-beta.google.com/group/ClayCraft

Old 16-03-2005, 06:16 PM
dalecochoy

Wow, talk about slow response to a post! :) 2 years!
Lee, do you by any chance still have Mel's original post that I quoted ( or
attached) laying around. I'm sure most don't remember ever seeing it and
many newbies never did. I didn't save it.
Since I certainly never did study pottery in Japan with ANYONE I'm sure I
don't understand Hamada's take on apprenticeships, but , like many here on
the list, I have known and/or talk to many who have studied/apprenticed
bonsai there , not to mention "stones" and "display". I'd LOVE to hear
your accounts :)
I always did wonder how many tea bowls you had to throw in a day, and for
how many months ( or years) before a Japanese master potter figured you
threw an OK teabowl ( but not as good as Japanese ones).
Regards,
Dale

[...]

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++