Old 24-03-2005, 02:42 AM
Marty Haber

Default [IBC] question about monkey puzzle trees

Yes, but I've never seen one that appeals to me.
++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++
Old 24-03-2005, 10:58 AM
Billy M. Rhodes

Monkey Puzzle and Norfolk Island Pine are in the same family, but
Monkey Puzzle will tolerate lower temperatures.
Both have problems as Bonsai because of their growth habit.
Leaders (apex) and side branches are differentiated. (There is a term
for this but I can't remember or find it this morning. If anyone really cares
I will keep looking.) You can't train a side branch as a leader. However, if
you chop the top a new leader will develop.
Also if you trim a side branch, it starts a new side branch from that
spot. But, if you trim at the trunk it doesn't come back.
The branches grow in "whorls" with three or four from the same place
on the trunk.
I have had one in a pot for 30 years and it is not a Bonsai. Although
now if someone had a very large cascade pot it might work.
Billy on the Florida Space Coast

Old 24-03-2005, 01:57 PM
Craig Cowing

On Mar 24, 2005, at 8:19 AM, Steven Wachs wrote:

i WOULDN'T WASTE MY TIME TRYING THAT AS A BONSAI. THERE IS SO MUCH TO
CHOOSE FROM THAT IS MORE SUITABLE, AND MORE DESIREABLE.

Stevew
Long Island NY

I'd have to agree. I haven't seen any attempts at bonsai, but from the
examples I've seen this would be much better as a large patio tree.

Craig Cowing
NY
Zone 5b/6a Sunset 37

++++Sponsored, in part, by Gregory Brenden++++

+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Monkey Puzzle Trees AmyJane13 Gardening 5 17-04-2013 07:58 PM
question about monkey puzzle trees credinwyr Bonsai 1 24-03-2005 06:44 PM
monkey puzzle probelm woodco United Kingdom 5 16-06-2004 04:40 AM
Monkey puzzle tree sw United Kingdom 7 26-02-2003 07:09 PM
Monkey Puzzle Andrew Babicz United Kingdom 1 28-12-2002 08:41 AM