GardenBanter.co.uk

-   -   Apartment and Bonsai (https://www.gardenbanter.co.uk/bonsai/93024-apartment-bonsai.html)

Mike 25-04-2005 07:08 PM

Apartment and Bonsai

Hey All,

I am interested in getting a bonsai tree for my apartment. Just want a small
tree but was wondering what sort of lighting i need to sustain it in an
apartment for the summer. It cannot be put outback as I have no out back to
put it. I was wondering the time of light needed, how many watts and how
long should i have the light on for.

looking for a small juniper, also anyone know any good place to get a potted
half way decent tree, i live in philadelphia, pa.

Scooter the Mighty 28-04-2005 12:21 AM

I agree with the other poster that Junipers are outdoor trees and will
die inside. I've heard of people doing complicated things with
refrigerating them during the winter, but I don't think it's worth it,
get an indoor tree.

There are a number of trees you can keep indoors. Ficus is probably
the most popular, and I've got a couple. I've heard you can keep
chinese elm, bouganvillea, texas ebony, olive, and fukien tea inside.
I'm sure there are others.