Old 04-05-2005, 03:18 PM
Patrick Maloney

Default Help!

Hello Everyone,

I was given a bonsai tree as a gift in mid-February. The label states that
it is a "Tree of a Thousand Stars" (Serissa foetida). The label also states
that it is an "Evergreen indoor bonsai... Likes warm position and good
light, away from draughts. Min. temp 50F. Water frequently, feed weekly in
growing season."

I have done all this and yet the tree still seems very sickly. The leaves
are yellowing and dropping off, several per day. The food I'm using is
Chrysal plant food for Bonsai.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Patrick

Old 04-05-2005, 03:56 PM
Pauline Muth

This plant needs a lot of light...14 hours of artificial light minimum if
you are growing it indoors....and close to the lights
if fluorescent fixtures. Add in the light and things will improve if the
plant isn't too far gone. If it is past frost in your
area, get the bonsai outside and sunlight will help a lot...just be careful
of sunburn at first as the cuticle layer on
indoor leaves is thin and needs time to build up.
Pauline

I was given a bonsai tree as a gift in mid-February. The label states that
it is a "Tree of a Thousand Stars" (Serissa foetida). The label also states
that it is an "Evergreen indoor bonsai... Likes warm position and good
light, away from draughts. Min. temp 50F. Water frequently, feed weekly in
growing season."

I have done all this and yet the tree still seems very sickly. The leaves
are yellowing and dropping off, several per day. The food I'm using is
Chrysal plant food for Bonsai.

Any advice would be very welcome.

Thank you.

Patrick

****
++++Sponsored, in part, by Sue Crabtree++++
****
-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --
+++++ Questions? Help? e-mail +++++

Old 04-05-2005, 04:52 PM
Patrick Maloney

Pauline,

Thanks a lot. I have started putting the tree out during sunlight hours -
not that we get much sunlight, but I suppose even cloudy skies are better
than inside. My problem is that my hours are very irregular, and I tend to
be most active at night. Would placing the tree on a south facing windowsill
be any good, or does the tree need the UV?

Thanks for your help,

Patrick

HELP HELP HELP Lynne Orchids 6 07-05-2004 01:03 AM
help with high light/high co2 tank out of balance = greenwater :( help J. H. Freshwater Aquaria Plants 17 08-04-2003 04:44 PM
YOU HELP ME AND I HELP YOU !!! illmatic Ponds (alternative) 0 26-03-2003 03:32 AM
[IBC] IBCers You can help the list (was: [IBC] Please help me :-))) Jim Lewis Bonsai 0 23-03-2003 12:44 AM
help! Please help find out what kind of plants I have :) Dave M. Picklyk Freshwater Aquaria Plants 0 18-02-2003 05:09 AM